Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Challenge in sugarcube game?

edited August 2016 in Help! with 2.0
I've been trying to think of how to add some level of challenge to my game. I've thought about adding a word jumble or something but I'd prefer something more advanced. I know I can't make Pacman or anything in Twine but I'd like some difficulty.

Comments

• That's a rather broad topic. There are lots of things that can be challenging. one example is having to make decisions throughout the game that correspond to your present situation or resources.
  • In principle you could create Pacman using Javascript within a Twine based story.
  • That's a rather broad topic. There are lots of things that can be challenging. one example is having to make decisions throughout the game that correspond to your present situation or resources.

This is what I aim to do in the game but I'd like a more one dimensional challenge; like get to the end in 20 seconds or something.
  • greyelf wrote: »
    In principle you could create Pacman using Javascript within a Twine based story.

Would that not just be like embedding a game within a game? I mean I believe that it's possible it seems like you're making "the game" in another program then just adding to twine.
  • ConerNSFW wrote: »
    Would that not just be like embedding a game within a game?
    Yes, it is.

In your OP you stated "I know I can't make Pacman..." and I was just letting you know that it is possible, because the Story HTML file created using Twine is just a web-application.

• Or you could have a quiz or something.
  • edited August 2016
    But I like the idea of making decisions; it could be like save your friend and let the world die or kill your friend and let the world live or kill yourself and let both live! You could make a sorta Telltale-type game.
  • edited August 2016
    ConerNSFW wrote: »
    This is what I aim to do in the game but I'd like a more one dimensional challenge; like get to the end in 20 seconds or something.

That's just a minigame. Twine is perfectly capable of doing anything you'll find in a turn based strategy or adventure game, and those games are definitely challenging.

A good game to look at for challenge within narrative decision making is Long Live the Queen. Twine can easily duplicate every mechanic in that game, and it's one of the most challenging storytelling games published.
  • Or you could use randomisers.
  • The main element that Telltale games use is quick time events and I can't think of a way to translate that to a twine game.
  • edited August 2016
    Quick time events aren't challenge. Telltale isn't what I think of when I think "gameplay". There are other narrative games that do challenge much, much better. As I wrote before, I'd strongly recommend giving Long Live the Queen a look. That's far, far more challenging than anything Telltale make.

That said, it's possible to do quicktime events in Twine if you look into extensions like GSAP and pixie.js.
  • Claretta wrote: »
    I'd strongly recommend giving Long Live the Queen a look.

I definitely will.

• You could use the (prompt:) macro so the player has to choose something to use, like in s Scribblenauts game.
  • well if you're going for a challenge you can always make rpg battles with bosses it works fine with twine as its choice and luck based it doesn't need visuals