Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Making an rpg game

I was kinda bored so I decided I'll just make an rpg game sure.. why not right, anyway I have decided in the end to make a text based rpg adventure cause I'm good cause who cares for graphics right, right now I have build off others codes and created easy to use codes with simple mechanics and that work on twine 2.0 Harlowe and I was hoping you guys could help me with some more anyway here are some of the mechanics I have already Implemented a survival mode, a shop with armour and weapons, fighting mechanics such as critical damage, I'm gonna easily add an inventory, story mode, items, consumables and ost too but I wanna see how far I can push it, do you guys have any other good ideas and here's the link to the latest beta I have published: http://www.philome.la/theshadowkingth/beta-4 if you guys want to see the coding for the beta I've attached it to the discussion just mind you this just a beta
Tagged:
html
html
Beta 4.html
342K
«1

Comments

  • edited August 2016
    I like it. I think once it's finished it'll be pretty cool. However, I have a few ideas. You could change the background colour or text colour. Like, if you get hit by a ghoul, the background could be red. Also, if you paste this code into the stylesheet you can change the link colour:
    tw-hook[style*="color:"] tw-link, tw-hook[style*="color:"] .enchantment-link {
    	color: inherit;
    }
    
  • dude that's already one of the features I'm gonna add but not puny colours full blown background with ost I figured out that I could save my images at drop box and then use them in my twine, anyway I forgot to update now its beta 6 with rank and leveling up though only 2 ranks are available now, though one small problem that I can't seem to fix is that you have to visit the ninja healers in the beginning you just have to sadly anyway here it is http://www.philome.la/theshadowkingth/beta-6
  • Deadshot wrote: »
    I have already added background and soundtrack with minimal bugs like the background changing once and a 8 secs lag for the st to start check beta 9 I've improved alot on it

    html
    html
    Beta 9.html
    346K
  • edited August 2016
    You could also have a credits screen, then have links to everyone in the credits using the (gotoURL:) macro. Example(on the credits screen):
    (Game Title)
    By Khaloodxp
    
    Thanks to:
    (link: "Deadshot")[(gotoURL: "https://twinery.org/forum/profile/4672/Deadshot";)]
    

    Clicking the link will lead to my profile.

    note: The example of me in your credits is just a joke, only to demonstrate the macro.
    note: The smiley face is an error; it is really another double quotes and a close bracket.
  • Also you could try changing the font. Use google fonts if you decide to do so.
  • I will make a credits screen though I will make it skipable I won't blame the players if they don't want to see credits as its really lots and lots and lots and lots of people I may have made the game on my own but I've used a hell lot of guides
  • Cool. Maybe in the combat, you could give the chance to block, but only for a few seconds, and if the player misses their chance then they take the damage.
    (live: 0.5)[[[Block]]]
    (stop:)
    
  • edited August 2016
    Oh, I have an idea for the glitch where you need to visit the healer's to get the sword! Have a title screen, and on that have new game (or whatever you wanna call it) and the credits. But the new game would be a link, and it would set a variable ($new, for example) to 1. Then, use the (if:) macro so to tell the player to visit the healer's:
    (link: "New Game")[(set: $new to 1)(goto: "(Whatever you wanna call the main passage)")]
    [[Credits]]
    
    (if: $new is 1)[Visit [[Ninja Healer's]]]
    
    (At the healer's)
    (set: $new to 0)
    

    And if you do do a title screen, perhaps you could even have a save-game system, and have another button on the title saying load game! This is a title screen I've made:

  • Here:
    Title Screen (Blood).png
    1024 x 600 - 160K
  • edited August 2016
    I have already implemented dodge block and critical hit, I fixed the bug don't worry a long time ago and I'm already working on a save-game system but how to save that's the mystery I'm trying to copy open sorcery which has a save-game feature Sure I made a title screen but how to save that's what I'm trying to figure out
    trust me dude its a totally different game from what it used to be the last time I produced a beta
  • here's a zoomed out screen shot of how it looks now though it gives the code I wrote with the help of greyelf no justice
    game preview new.jpg
    1169 x 589 - 314K
  • Khaloodxp wrote: »
    I have already implemented dodge block and critical hit, I fixed the bug don't worry a long time ago and I'm already working on a save-game system but how to save that's the mystery I'm trying to copy open sorcery which has a save-game feature Sure I made a title screen but how to save that's what I'm trying to figure out
    trust me dude its a totally different game from what it used to be the last time I produced a beta

    When you want to load a game, do this:
    {(if: (saved-games:) contains "Slot A")[
      (link: "Load Game")[(load-game:"Slot A")]
    ]}
    

    That could be on your title screen. And the link doesn't have to say Load Game. It could be Continue Game or whatever. To save, you do this:
    {(link:"Save Game")[
      (if:(save-game:"Slot A"))[
        Game Saved!
      ](else: )[
       Couldn't save your game.
      ]
    ]}
    

    Again, you can customize some of the stuff. You could also have multiple slots. That's how it works on my game. If you want two slots, on the second one you would just change 'A' to 'B', or whatever.
  • Khaloodxp wrote: »
    here's a zoomed out screen shot of how it looks now though it gives the code I wrote with the help of greyelf no justice

    Whoa! That's a lotta passages! Will there be another beta or is it nearly finished?
  • Deadshot wrote: »
    Khaloodxp wrote: »
    here's a zoomed out screen shot of how it looks now though it gives the code I wrote with the help of greyelf no justice

    Whoa! That's a lotta passages! Will there be another beta or is it nearly finished?

    dude that was 15 betas ago, btw I have already added load and save game and many other features right now all I have to work on are the skills,allies and story mode, I think I will be done soon (hopefully) :neutral:
  • the game is getting too large and lag is increasing drastically so I had to introduce a loading screen sadly :frowning:
  • Khaloodxp wrote: »
    the game is getting too large and lag is increasing drastically so I had to introduce a loading screen sadly :frowning:

    Maybe you could get rid of some of the passages and make them in the same passage but using the link macro. For example, I don't know how you're doing the shop, but if you created a new passage for when you clicked on a sword or whatever, it could be a link instead.
    <big>''Shop''</big>
    What will you buy:
    (if: $money >= 40)[
    (link: "Better Sword")[(set: $sword to $sword + 1)(set: $money to $money - 40)]]
    

    This is just a suggestion, but I don't know how to improve really.
  • Deadshot wrote: »
    Khaloodxp wrote: »
    the game is getting too large and lag is increasing drastically so I had to introduce a loading screen sadly :frowning:

    Maybe you could get rid of some of the passages and make them in the same passage but using the link macro. For example, I don't know how you're doing the shop, but if you created a new passage for when you clicked on a sword or whatever, it could be a link instead.
    <big>''Shop''</big>
    What will you buy:
    (if: $money >= 40)[
    (link: "Better Sword")[(set: $sword to $sword + 1)(set: $money to $money - 40)]]
    

    This is just a suggestion, but I don't know how to improve really.

    I was able to reduce the lag through your advice I will try other things as well thanks
  • Khaloodxp wrote: »
    Deadshot wrote: »
    Khaloodxp wrote: »
    the game is getting too large and lag is increasing drastically so I had to introduce a loading screen sadly :frowning:

    Maybe you could get rid of some of the passages and make them in the same passage but using the link macro. For example, I don't know how you're doing the shop, but if you created a new passage for when you clicked on a sword or whatever, it could be a link instead.
    <big>''Shop''</big>
    What will you buy:
    (if: $money >= 40)[
    (link: "Better Sword")[(set: $sword to $sword + 1)(set: $money to $money - 40)]]
    

    This is just a suggestion, but I don't know how to improve really.

    I was able to reduce the lag through your advice I will try other things as well thanks

    Cool. How's it coming along? Any other issues or cool ideas you want?
  • Deadshot wrote: »
    Khaloodxp wrote: »
    Deadshot wrote: »
    Khaloodxp wrote: »
    the game is getting too large and lag is increasing drastically so I had to introduce a loading screen sadly :frowning:

    Maybe you could get rid of some of the passages and make them in the same passage but using the link macro. For example, I don't know how you're doing the shop, but if you created a new passage for when you clicked on a sword or whatever, it could be a link instead.
    <big>''Shop''</big>
    What will you buy:
    (if: $money >= 40)[
    (link: "Better Sword")[(set: $sword to $sword + 1)(set: $money to $money - 40)]]
    

    This is just a suggestion, but I don't know how to improve really.

    I was able to reduce the lag through your advice I will try other things as well thanks

    Cool. How's it coming along? Any other issues or cool ideas you want?

    it's working out, I had a small hiatus since I travelled, now I'm finally back and will start working on it in after a couple of hours of rest, but it's almost complete now just a few tweaks 1 extra feature and story mode and it will be done
  • Khaloodxp wrote: »
    Deadshot wrote: »
    Khaloodxp wrote: »
    Deadshot wrote: »
    Khaloodxp wrote: »
    the game is getting too large and lag is increasing drastically so I had to introduce a loading screen sadly :frowning:

    Maybe you could get rid of some of the passages and make them in the same passage but using the link macro. For example, I don't know how you're doing the shop, but if you created a new passage for when you clicked on a sword or whatever, it could be a link instead.
    <big>''Shop''</big>
    What will you buy:
    (if: $money >= 40)[
    (link: "Better Sword")[(set: $sword to $sword + 1)(set: $money to $money - 40)]]
    

    This is just a suggestion, but I don't know how to improve really.

    I was able to reduce the lag through your advice I will try other things as well thanks

    Cool. How's it coming along? Any other issues or cool ideas you want?

    it's working out, I had a small hiatus since I travelled, now I'm finally back and will start working on it in after a couple of hours of rest, but it's almost complete now just a few tweaks 1 extra feature and story mode and it will be done

    NIce
  • How's it doing now?
  • Deadshot wrote: »
    How's it doing now?

    working on the story but I've been busy lately so I couldn't work on in that much
  • Khaloodxp wrote: »
    Deadshot wrote: »
    How's it doing now?

    working on the story but I've been busy lately so I couldn't work on in that much

    Fair enough.
  • don't worry I have already invested so much time into it, it would be a waste to quit at the end, I am just having trouble writing a good script with all the the work I have but one thing is for sure I will finish it
  • edited November 2016
    This may come across as shameless advertising but if you're looking for ideas, I can suggest my project (also an RPG; albeit written in Sugarcube 1) for some inspiration and how to implement things in a text friendly manner:

    http://rage-productions.com/games/scaffold-22/play-scaffold-22/

    Basically, a full open world experience with all common wRPG features implemented to some extent, albeit with some limitations due to the format. Note that even without visual elements or formatting you can build something to similar effect without too much effort. Most of my development time went into designing visuals and UI, not actually the game in itself, except for combat. The 'game' is the same thing I started with two years ago in pure text.
  • MoLoLu wrote: »
    This may come across as shameless advertising but if you're looking for ideas, I can suggest my project (also an RPG; albeit written in Sugarcube 1) for some inspiration and how to implement things in a text friendly manner:

    http://rage-productions.com/games/scaffold-22/play-scaffold-22/

    Basically, a full open world experience with all common wRPG features implemented to some extent, albeit with some limitations due to the format. Note that even without visual elements or formatting you can build something to similar effect without too much effort. Most of my development time went into designing visuals and UI, not actually the game in itself, except for combat. The 'game' is the same thing I started with two years ago in pure text.

    played it no offense, but my game mechanics are much much better and actually pretty simple, the visuals on the other hand ehhh but if I cared for visuals I wouldn't be making a text game in the first place, I usually laze off at the very end of something but I intend to write the story when I have enough time and then what remains are just minimal things like replacing "villain A" with the name of the villain, wait I just realized it's been almost 3 months since I started making my game, ok it's got to end writing the story this day publishing it next week no further delays
  • Khaloodxp wrote: »
    MoLoLu wrote: »
    This may come across as shameless advertising but if you're looking for ideas, I can suggest my project (also an RPG; albeit written in Sugarcube 1) for some inspiration and how to implement things in a text friendly manner:

    http://rage-productions.com/games/scaffold-22/play-scaffold-22/

    Basically, a full open world experience with all common wRPG features implemented to some extent, albeit with some limitations due to the format. Note that even without visual elements or formatting you can build something to similar effect without too much effort. Most of my development time went into designing visuals and UI, not actually the game in itself, except for combat. The 'game' is the same thing I started with two years ago in pure text.

    played it no offense, but my game mechanics are much much better and actually pretty simple, the visuals on the other hand ehhh but if I cared for visuals I wouldn't be making a text game in the first place, I usually laze off at the very end of something but I intend to write the story when I have enough time and then what remains are just minimal things like replacing "villain A" with the name of the villain, wait I just realized it's been almost 3 months since I started making my game, ok it's got to end writing the story this day publishing it next week no further delays

    I like the Scaffold 22 game. Perhaps the villain could have an unknown name and you only find out that it's your father or something like that at the end?
  • I have over 4 plot twists in the game I think I am fulfilled in the plot twist department also the "I am your father" twist is so cliched
Sign In or Register to comment.