Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Twine 2.1.0 beta 1

2»

Comments

• Pierre wrote: »
    Deadshot wrote: »
    I use Ubuntu. I don't know which one to install, or how to run it. Every time I open it it's just a folder with all the stuff.
    Unzip the Linux64 version in your personnel folder. Change the properties of the twine file to make it executable. Double-click on it to launch Twine.

How do I unzip and how do I change the properties to make it executable?
  • Deadshot wrote: »
    How do I unzip and how do I change the properties to make it executable?

I've been fortunate enough to avoid having to deal with Ubuntu for most of this decade, but assuming nothing too drastic has changed, you'll most likely want to do the following (from within your terminal):

Install unzip if it has not already been installed.
    $ sudo apt-get -y install unzip

Most distributions that supply a desktop environment use /home/username/Downloads to store files downloaded via the user's web browser, so switch to this directory. If you are using a different directory, cd to that one instead.
    $ cd ~/Downloads

Extract the Twine archive.
    $ unzip ./twine*.zip

cd to the newly created directory.
    $ cd ./twine*/

Make the Twine file executable.
    $ chmod +x ./Twine

Run Twine 2.1.0 beta 1.
    $ ./Twine

• Thank you @Kokonoe for clear instructions, one small point though the Twine file has already been marked as executable so the user can already open a Terminal in the correct folder and run the application.

The main issue an inexperienced user may have is that double clicking on the Twine file within the File Explorer (on a freshly installed instance of Ubuntu) will result in them seeing a "There is no application installed for "shared library" files." warning dialog.

Not being an Ubuntu user I don't know how to solver this issue myself.

It is sad that advice to inexperienced users is generally to open a Terminal and to start entering mystical commands in the hope that they issue them in the correct location and in the correct order.
  • greyelf wrote: »
    The main issue an inexperienced user may have is that double clicking on the Twine file within the File Explorer (on a freshly installed instance of Ubuntu) will result in them seeing a "There is no application installed for "shared library" files." warning dialog.

Ah, you're right. I had never tried to open the Twine executable from within my file manager, but it does lead to that same dialog popup.

Rather than open the terminal each time to run Twine, Linux users running a desktop environment that supports Desktop Entries (The majority of common DEs) can create a .desktop file for Twine like so:

Install nano if it hasn't already been installed. You can skip this step if you already know how to use a text editor on your system.
    $ sudo apt-get -y install nano

Create the desktop entry.
    $ nano ~/.local/share/applications/Twine.desktop

Copy and paste the following into your terminal (please see the Note at the end of this post).
    [Desktop Entry]
    Version=1.0
    Type=Application
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Name=Twine 2.1.0
    Comment=Twine v2.1.0 Beta 1
    Icon=/opt/Twine/twine.svg
    Exec=/opt/Twine/Twine
    Terminal=false
    Categories=Development;IDE;

Save the file by hitting Ctrl+X, followed by Y and then Enter.

Mark the entry as executable. This isn't actually necessary, but it will change 'Twine.desktop' into 'Twine' with the proper icon when viewed from your file manager.
    $ chmod +x ~/.local/share/applications/Twine.desktop

You should now have a Twine entry wherever your applications list is located (usually accessed with the Windows/Super key), and can simply click that to run the program outside of the terminal.

Note: Two lines in the above .desktop entry are specific to my setup, and will likely need to be changed on yours. They are:
    Exec=/opt/Twine/Twine

You'll want to change this line to the proper location for your Twine executable. If, for example, you never moved it outside of Downloads, your line might look like this:
    Exec=/home/YourUsername/Downloads/twine_2.1.0b1_linux64/Twine

The Twine archive doesn't include an icon (unless I overlooked it). I grabbed the Twine logo off their main site to use. However, the Desktop Entry will still be functional without an icon if you'd prefer to ignore this.
  • edited September 2016
    Kokonoe wrote: »
    greyelf wrote: »

Ah, you're right. I had never tried to open the Twine executable from within my file manager, but it does lead to that same dialog popup.

Rather than open the terminal each time to run Twine, Linux users running a desktop environment that supports Desktop Entries (The majority of common DEs) can create a .desktop file for Twine like so:

Install nano if it hasn't already been installed. You can skip this step if you already know how to use a text editor on your system.
    $ sudo apt-get -y install nano

Create the desktop entry.
    $ nano ~/.local/share/applications/Twine.desktop

Copy and paste the following into your terminal (please see the Note at the end of this post).
    [Desktop Entry]
    Version=1.0
    Type=Application
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Name=Twine 2.1.0
    Comment=Twine v2.1.0 Beta 1
    Exec=/opt/Twine/Twine
    Terminal=false
    Categories=Development;IDE;

Save the file by hitting Ctrl+X, followed by Y and then Enter.

Mark the entry as executable. This isn't actually necessary, but it will change 'Twine.desktop' into 'Twine' with the proper icon when viewed from your file manager.
    $ chmod +x ~/.local/share/applications/Twine.desktop

You should now have a Twine entry wherever your applications list is located (usually accessed with the Windows/Super key), and can simply click that to run the program outside of the terminal.

Note: Two lines in the above .desktop entry are specific to my setup, and will likely need to be changed on yours. They are:
    Exec=/opt/Twine/Twine

You'll want to change this line to the proper location for your Twine executable. If, for example, you never moved it outside of Downloads, your line might look like this:
    Exec=/home/YourUsername/Downloads/twine_2.1.0b1_linux64/Twine

The Twine archive doesn't include an icon (unless I overlooked it). I grabbed the Twine logo off their main site to use. However, the Desktop Entry will still be functional without an icon if you'd prefer to ignore this.

Please, there is too much craziness with all these comments everywhere saying a load of stuff what I have no idea what it means. Could you just give me something to paste into my terminal, or if I need to enter things at different times clearly say what I need to do? I don't have nano or unzip FYI. I would really like to use this beta. :disappointed:
  • I added a new issue for the beta, #275, about not being able to update or delete a custom Story Format.

I'm not sure if it's already addressed in one of the other issues or commits, though.
  • Is beta 2 near at all? I'm asking because my issue was resolved with the latest commit :lol: I'm guessing maybe Oct 7th, just to make it a month after beta 1?
  • Is beta 2 near at all? I'm asking because my issue was resolved with the latest commit :lol: I'm guessing maybe Oct 7th, just to make it a month after beta 1?

Yeah, and plz make it easier to access for Ubuntu users.
  • I think we'll be ready for beta 2 in a week or two... I think. There's one or two more changes I want to get in.

Deadshot, what do you mean by easier to access?
  • klembot wrote: »
    Deadshot, what do you mean by easier to access?
    Based on the previous posts in this thread I believe they are hoping that they will not have to execute commands in a terminal or need to create a desktop entry just so they can run the application as a normal GUI based user.
  • That's something that I don't think I have the resources to do -- it's the same reason why I don't try to make versions for Mac or Windows app stores -- but I'd be happy to help out someone who's interested in improving the integration with Linux and is willing to take responsibility for that aspect.
  • I'm not sure if it's been raised or not, but in the current beta - you can now nudge Passage nodes past the left boundary, BUT the limits are still there - only expandable editor workspace going down and to the left.

Meaning you could potentially 'lose' Passages to the left boundary if you're not careful. And currently Snap to Grid does nothing to pull it back or anything.

I believe in 2.0 TWINE in general, you couldn't even shove a Node left to gain more space outward. Just Right and Downwards. Not 100% sure about 1.4.2 TWINE.
  • Errrr. I meant expandable editor workspace going down and to the RIGHT (sorry.) I only just caught that goof. lol.
  • Hi!

I want to leave some feedback.

I do not like to much curvy lines. They are fine, but that all lines are curvy feels somewhat crowd.

Maybe a better approach is to have lines curving when they are far from the ortogonal and diagonal lines, so "straight" lines could be just "straight arrows". But maybe to calculate a real time somewhat complex curvy line could be hard for the processing times (I do not know).

I miss the syntax highlight so much.

The rest is amazing. Blinding fast, and to have the Delete key bug solved, is great. I will keep using it.

Regards.
  • edited October 2016
    Ah!, and sometimes the arrows are hard to read because the curve makes two or more of them overlap.

I would prefer a more "intelligent" and dynamic positioning of the arrows.

I wonder... maybe there is a known solution for that. For example, Graphviz or others. I mean, a known algorithm for arrows layout in a graph.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphviz

Regards-
  • The changes to the line drawing algorithm were prompted by two things:

First, Leon Arnott noticed that if you have multiple passages linked to each other that sit at the same position on one axis, it's impossible to tell which points to which.

aU3JTKj.png

Second, connector drawing is slow in large stories. This hurts most when dragging passages around, as it becomes really clear when the app isn't able to keep up. Ideally, it should be fast enough to update to maintain 60 frames per second -- which does not give a lot of time for calculation!

In order to make connector drawing efficient, I've found that I have to impose one restriction: a connector can only take into account its two passages when drawing. This means that when you drag a passage around, only its connectors need to update -- none other. This probably sounds obvious; why should you have to think about other connectors if they're not moving? But a lot of graph algorithms actually do that in order to provide nicer-looking graphs. i.e. they can only minimize intersections if they can consider all connectors to be drawn.

So, the version that's in the beta right now is the best I could come up with based on the research I've done. But I'm sure it's not the best possible algorithm! And I would be open to alternative approaches that are performant.
  • Maybe a dumb question... but why not keep the uninvolved connectors as they are while the user drags a passage around, and update it with the complicated algorithm only when the passage is dropped?