Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Previous() problem

These seems to pertain from the start passage. If I have any links on the start page and you click on the link to another passage which has a [[Back|previous()]] I get a browser error saying file not found.  However if the same link is on another passage other than the start one it works fine.

This link is going to the available to click on at anytime in the game (in sidebar), and players who do so right at the beginning are going to have this problem.  I could direct the link to Start, but then later in the game if they click on the link to re-read the intel its going to take them back to the start. I suppose one work around is if there is a way to automatically move the player to another passage right at the start that will be actual start of the story? is there some sort of command/macro like <<goto passage>>?

Comments

• Is anyone else sometimes having any problems with previous() not going back but giving an error instead? 
    [quote]This passage does not exist: StoryRegions Module

This is from clicking on a link I have in the main passage on the start module (I also have the same link in a story region passage too). When the error occurs it seems to open a new tab displaying the browser page missing. If I close that page, the current passage I have been linked to is still there. Pressing the back button as explained before gives me passage does not exist.

I hope this defines the problem a little more clearer and that a solution can be found? Once you progress further than the start passage and click on the said link it works fine when it goes back to the previous passage.

• I think you could try checking if the currently-displayed passage is Start, or if there's no history available, and then just not display the previous link if so? Getting an error when trying to go back from the first page seems inevitable, so you might as well just hide it if you can tell when that happens. I don't have a code example for that handy, but I'm fairly sure that's something doable.
  • On the start page the player can click on a link showing some information, so that is another passage, back should of taken them back to start but instead gave an error.

Concerning history, if you use this in a passage <<display passage x>> twine wouldn't count the displayed passage in its history, displaying a passage is or isn't the same as jumping to it? or is it like a goto passage?