Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Increased moderation

Because of our recent spam problems, I'm going to try a policy of requiring all posts by new users to be approved by a moderator before they appear.*

The reason for the asterisk is that even if you have posted here before, your message may get held for moderation. Our forum software requires that users be marked as trusted by hand, e.g. it doesn't look like there is a rule that can automatically trust someone once they have passed moderation once. Some people have already been marked trusted in the past -- where the spam filters mistakenly marked a post as spam, and it was corrected -- but not everyone.

So, your patience is appreciated. It may take a day or more for a post to be approved, which is why I have been reluctant to go down this road.

Comments

• Sorry you guys had to go so far. Glad the spam is dealt with though.
  • Unsure if it's even possible, but if there were some way to notify new users about this (brief notice in their registration email, automatic forum message) it might help to prevent confusion and frustration in first-time posters who manage to miss this notice and can't figure out why their post isn't appearing.
  • Welp, as soon as I posted that, a popup informed me that "Your comment will be shown after it is approved."
    Point moot. I feel vaguely foolish.
  • My intention is, if we have to keep this long-term, to have a general announcement about it, yeah.
  • So, just to confirm, just by replying this announcement, we'll be moderated, approved, and can get on with our lives? :lol:
  • well thank god that weird chinese spam was annoying (I'm assuming I'm not a new user fingers crossed)
  • korean it is then
  • Hey these things happen. No worries guy.
  • Thanks for handling this, I'm sure it's no fun.
  • The tide of incoming spam seems to have subsided, so I've turned this moderation off. (And it caused some confusion for new members -- as it's not super clear that a post has been held, so duplicates cropped up.)

If it turns out to be just a momentary lull, I'll bring it back.
  • It's just a momentary lull. I see one already sneaking back in.
  • I'm going to give it another 24 hours and make a decision.