Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Keyword Search Box Twine 2 Harlowe

I've been looking for a number of days, but have been unsuccessful. I am looking to add the ability for users to enter in a word or words and have it display all passages that contain those words. Basically a search engine, displaying relevant results.

I am using Twine 2 and the Harlowe story format

Comments

• well I am not sure how to help exactly so here's the harlowe manual
    twine2.neocities.org which should help I suggest something with the prompt command which lets users enter alphanumeric text, but I just feel that it would be way too hard for a twine game, tell me what are you trying to achieve using the search box and I think I could work out a roundabout way
  • I have a list of common questions people ask at our call center, and scripting on how to reply. I've broken them out by category, but even still its too "rabbit-holy" to find the answer quickly for the employee.

So what I envisioned was a person would call and ask a question (Ex "I am wondering how much this couch costs"). The employee could type 'couch' in a search, and twine would show them passages that have that item referenced.

Hope that makes sense. I'm open to other options if I could achieve the same keyword type functionality.

Thanks!
  • well rather than using twine a smarter approach would be to make a free website, it's much easier to add a search box (as it is already build in), you could make it a private website for workers, or let customers search the website online as a faqs website you could even add a comments box using disqus,I would recommend wix or weebly
  • edited October 2016
    My boss really wanted to use Twine, and liked that we could send the HTML file to multiple job sites and not have to worry about intranet blocking based on corp security policies.

Originally I wanted to do a wiki type page, but wasn't able to get approval due to the above.

Is it at all possible in Twine? While it may not be the smart approach, it may be my only option currently.
  • Unfortunately, so far as I know this isn't the kind of thing that's built into Twine or Harlowe. It's certainly possible but it would require some JavaScript programming to do. But... the path of least resistance might actually be to use something that's more overtly wiki-like. TiddlyWiki is an ancestor of Twine that might be worth checking out.
  • I am not entirely sure, the best try your luck with with tiddly, or maybe twee could provide a search box, but I am not sure really