Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My solution for using scripted actors in Twine games

edited December 2016 in Help! with 2.0
Required:

• Twine
• Internet connection
• Audacity with mp3 exporter addon installed.

Not suggesting for one second I'm the first to have this idea, but I've just spent a good few hours searching for a sound clip of a woman saying "Warning! Oxygen levels critical!"

As you might expect I drew a blank everywhere. And then the solution hit me.

This would work best if your game uses limited dialogue, but if you go here: text-to-speech you can type in your lines and have a variety of voices speak it out loud. The voices sound quite authentic and there's a variety of effects that can be added.

Imagine how good this could be if you're making a sci-fi game with an android as one of the characters?

Simply hit the record button in Audacity, run the text-to-speech, and then trim it up in Audacity before exporting as an mp3.

In my case it was perfect, as I needed an automated voice anyway. I added the reverb effect and it sounds very good indeed.

Comments

• Love the idea. Love how Twine lets creators explore and stretch like this. Best of luck with your project!
  • edited December 2016
    Thanks very much, PixelRecall.

On reflection and having played around with a few of these text-to-speech programs (of which the one I linked to sounds the most natural) I'm not sure they'd be particularly immersive, especially if you want to use dialogue of any length.

As I say it would be perfect if you wanted a talking android/mechanoid/robot, but not so much for humans.