Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Harlowe & File Save Capacity

Hi all!

I'm currently using Twine 2 and Harlowe to produce a very long game. Because the game is long and involves multiple playthroughs, I'm conscious that the current save mechanic may cause some issues. In other Twine-based games I've played, there's been an option to save and load to a file, rather than rely on the cache.

As I understand it (and I could be wrong), Harlowe has the ability to save, but it's stored in the cache related to that specific site. So if you were to play the same game in a different location, the save wouldn't carry over. Or if you downloaded the HTML and you'd been playing it on a website, it also wouldn't carry. Also, if you deleted your cache, you'd lose your savegame.

I can see these being particularly large stumbling blocks for this sort of game. I think Sugarcube might have the expanded save capacity, but I've already gotten pretty far in Harlowe (and from what I've seen of Sugarcube, working with Harlowe's macros seems far easier).

The question is this: is my understanding of the Harlowe save mechanics correct, and if so, are there any plans that anyone knows of to expand Harlowe's save ability to extend to making save/load files?

Comments

• No answers on this one?

I'd be super interested in if Harlowe 2.0 is going to have a save-to-file capacity for all the variables. TBH it's such an awesomely easy style to work in, I don't really want to move to anything else for this functionality.
  • The Harlowe project website would be a better place to ask for enhancements to the story format's features, I suggest creating a new issue.
  • Thanks! I've left an enhancement request