Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Peer-to-peer multiplayer?

Hey guys. New to Twine, little actual programming knowledge but learning more every day. I'm not at the point that I'll need to use this quite yet, but that's exactly why I'm asking now, not before I put a million hours into a game. But my question is; multiplayer with Twine? Harlowe? I don't mind changing formats or anything. Or even frameworks. Just wondering if small-scale peer-to-peer multiplayer is possible. I'd like to create a turn based game that could be played with my friends over the internet. If not turn based a specific number of actions/day type thing would be fine too. Dunno how to do that yet, but I'm sure it's easier than setting up a multiplayer network. ANY advice or links or anything would be super appreciated, thank you so much.

Comments

• As far as I can tell, Twine itself has no multiplayer support of any kind (not even hotseat). Modern web browsers do support peer-to-peer communication via something called WebRTC, but even if you can figure it out, that means programming your own networking system in Javascript. And then, I'm not sure how much Twine can help you anymore. Honestly, what you describe sounds more like a conventional browser-based MMO, say, Fallen London. Which means a client-server application.
  • felixp7 wrote: »
    As far as I can tell, Twine itself has no multiplayer support of any kind (not even hotseat).

This is correct. Being designed for interactive fiction rather than traditional games, Twine itself does not provide any features that would enable you to create a multiplayer game, nor is it likely to add such features in the future.

For a true multiplayer game, you would be best served by a traditional engine like Unity, Godot, Unreal, etc and some experience in system administration.

If you want to stay within an interactive fiction environment however, your best bet would be to look into creating a MUD/MUSH or telnet based multiplayer experience. I have seen a few games of the former type built with Inform 7.
  • If you want to stay within an interactive fiction environment however, your best bet would be to look into creating a MUD/MUSH or telnet based multiplayer experience.

Right! Either that, or make something in Seltani. It was even used for IFComp entries.
  • felixp7 wrote: »
    ... or make something in Seltani.
    There are two possible issues with using the hosted version of Seltani:
    1. It is no longer under active development so it may be taken down without much notice.
    2. You don't control who has access to your game logic and/or personal data.