Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tricking web Twine 2.0 so multiple users can access the same Twine from different computers?

The question pretty much says it all. I use Twine for historical text design projects in my history class and the problematic bottleneck is that only one computer can access a Twine that a group is designing.
Just to save peoples energy
- Yes I know one could swap the design file from machine to machine, and so long as only the one copy of the file was updated, each user could add parts independently so long as only one person had the master copy at any time, but that's far too painful an option for a high school history class.
- Yes I know that twee code does this easily, but the power of Twine 2.0 in a history class is the bare minimum coding knowledge a user needs, perfect for a history class where too much time and emphasis on coding can't be spared.

Right now I just warn groups and save several proofreading while one edits. I wondered if there was some way for different users at different times to edit the same Twine in the web browser version.
I'm guessing I'm out of luck, but I thought I'd ask

Comments

• edited December 2016
    Or how about this? Is there an export-to-Twee hack so multiple kids could write their section of the Twine with independent passage names, it could all be outputted in Twee then joined by yours truly in a process that is not horrific? Just tossing out ideas here.
  • Better yet, have them edit the Twee file together in some Etherpad instance of your choosing. Not exactly a direct solution, but it should do the trick.
  • Two other options:

1. Look at the Entweedle story format mentioned in this thread

2. Use the Twine 1 application as it supports both importing and exporting twee files.
  • Thanks for the suggestions @greyelf and @felixp7 . Now at least I have some options to play around with. I should have said, I'm committed to 2.0 at this point and Harlow, since that seems to be the way @klembot is heading. Anyway, thanks
  • and Harlow
    The Entweedle story format is not used to create a story HTML file, you use it to create a TWEE like file in the same way you use the View Proofing Copy option to create a proofing file.

eg. In your case you would use Harlowe to develop the story and then temporarily change story formats to save as a TWEE like file.
  • Okay that sounds like a good option for me to fiddle with a bit; Thanks @greyelf. One last question. Any chance the import file option in 2.0 allows for a Twee? I'm sure I'm asking for too much; but if, post joining of Twee files, a student design group could re-import to Twine 2.0 to use the story map and passage editor interface that would be super cool, as it were. Thanks either way.
  • Never mind, I figured it out myself. For those interested a Twee 2 file made from Entweedle (@greyelf mentioned Entweedle earlier in this chain) can be modified, compiled into Twee 2 and then reimported into Twine 2 using the import function. I'm a bit nervous about the number of places game-stopping errors could be introduced if students in groups did this, but at least it gives me something to play around with.
  • "several proofreading while one edits" (They should be proof-reading before it gets added, not after it is added.)

"different users at different times to edit the same Twine" (Kick a student out of the editors seat. Move another student into the editors seat.)

Installing a program "for all users", or moving the files to the "All users" folder in "Users", should work. (Another location would be the "Public" user, in the "Users" folder.)