Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When will audio come to Twine 2. WITHOUT Sugarcube?

Alright, so I'm making a game, and I want to put (SURPRISE) audio into it. Thing is, Sugarcube and I haven't exactly.. Agreed. (I may or may not have bashed a laptop's brain's in after two hours of arguing with that.. THING.) Does ANYONE have any idea how long it'll be until audio moves to twine 2? Have the developers mentioned it? I have an entire game written in the default style of twine 2.

I'd really appreciate it, really.

Comments

• Heeey, I love Sugarcube. Don't you talk about my beau that way!
  • edited January 2017
    A Story Format is more than just a style, it is a mini-application that is responsible for defining/implementing it's own core-functionality as well as it's default HTML structure and CSS. The core-functionality (can) include things like macro syntax, default list of macro, it's Javascript API, and how to extend the core-functionality.

The Twine 2 application leaves it up to the Story Format developers to decide what core functionality they will implement/include in their story format, the application itself is only responsible for combining the contents of your story's different passage types with the story format template to produce a story HTML file.

I suggest adding a New Issue to the Harlowe project's website if you wish to request additional functionality/macros be added to the story format. The Issues section of that website already includes some of the Developer's and other Author's existing thoughts on future enhancements.

note: The Twine 2 Guide does include a Add an Image, Movie, Sound Effect, or Music page which includes a very basic section on using a audio HTML element to add sound to a passage.
  • Dairyn, you beau is a complicated, complicated beau. (Jokes aside, my frustration with the language reader is no personal offense directed to you- I'm simply rather new to coding, and even Harlowe can throw me for a serious loop sometimes. And I find more tutorials on THAT one.)

GreyElf, That was precisely my point- I wrote my entire story in Harlowe. It's got Harlowe code in it. Next page, (set: $PlayerGender to "Female") (if: $PlayerGender is "Female")["Holy crap, you're a chick!"] And all that fun stuff. Sugarcube doesn't run it. I cannot transfer.

As for the page, it just tells me that they haven't put it in yet. :/
  • Ivy wrote: »
    GreyElf, That was precisely my point- I wrote my entire story in Harlowe. It's got Harlowe code in it. Next page, (set: $PlayerGender to "Female") (if: $PlayerGender is "Female")["Holy crap, you're a chick!"] And all that fun stuff. Sugarcube doesn't run it. I cannot transfer.

You just have to change the syntax of your commands to SugarCube's format. IE:
    <<set $PlayerGender to "Female">><<if $PlayerGender == "Female">>Holy crap, you're a chick!<</if>>

Read the documentation. SugarCube is far more extensible than Harlowe, particularly if you want to make your Twine game not look like a Twine game.
  • @Ivy - Yeah. You'll have to switch to sugarcube, unfortunately, unless you know enough javascript to play it in the Harlowe format. I hope your story doesn't have 500 passages, heh. But you can always check for (set: in your passages, or any 'code' in your Search/Find Thing in the TWINE editor? it should light up any passages that contain that, I think. Harlowe's Passage Links are the same as Sugarcube, more or less, minus the hook parts, I think.
  • I'm staying out of the switching formats part of this discussion for obvious reasons.

@Ivy You may find the following threads about audio in Harlowe useful:
  • Alright, consider me persuaded- If I had the slightest idea that I only could use 500 passages in Harlowe, I would've gone sugarcube from the start. Time to rewrite a LOT of codin'.

But consider me swayed to Sugarcube's badassary.
  • Ivy wrote: »
    ...that I only could use 500 passages in Harlowe...
    Could you explain how you determined that Harlowe has a limit of 500 passages?
  • It was a misinterpretation of Gryphbear's comment. They didn't mean Harlowe has a limit of 500 passages. They meant that if you did have 500, coding in all the audio for each one would be a PITA.
  • edited February 2017
    Claretta wrote: »
    It was a misinterpretation of Gryphbear's comment. They didn't mean Harlowe has a limit of 500 passages. They meant that if you did have 500, coding in all the audio for each one would be a PITA.

Exactly. :) The 500 Passages was an 'example' amount.