Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Harlowe 2.0

edited January 2017 in Help! with 2.0
Whilst attempting to work out how to dynamically change passage options I have discovered that harlowe 2.0 has a new for: macro allowing some basic looping functionality that I need.

But how do I add the Harlowe 2.0 story format? I know I can add a story format from the Add a new Format dialog in the twine 2 application, but it expects a url and I don't know the url to add. I can only find the url that points to the twine 2.0 manual which doesn't help.

Does anyone know what the import url for Harlowe 2.0 is?

Edit: Just realised that 2.0 is in Beta. Have pulled the source code using hg-clone which includes a format.js

Looking at the compilation instructions it seems to expect the use of unix/linux. I downloaded a gnuwin32 version of make but am getting path errors trying to run the makefile. Further digging looks like it seems to require node.js which isn't mentioned in the compilation instructions.

Has anyone succesfully compiled this in Windows? Does it even need compilation or can I just use the js files as is? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Failing that can somebody point me at a good snowman tutorial? I originally planned to use snowman as my story format because of its high integration with javascript but struggled at the first hurdle because the css class names for elements such as passages seem to be different in each story format and I can't find much documentation for using twine with snowman out there at all.
  • ... a good snowman tutorial?
    The Snowman story format assumes that you already have a good understanding of HTML, CSS and Javascript; that you either have or are able to gain basic knowledge of the jQuery and Underscore Javascript libraries; and that you are able to read and understand the Snowman source code.

Searching these forums for snowman will (eventually) lead you to some topics related to this story format, and snowman 2's base CSS can be found here in the source code.

Harlowe 2 Beta
    Some care needs to be taken when building your own copy of a story format from the latest version of it's repository, as that repository may be in an unstable state.

If you want access to the latest stable semi-released beta of Harlowe 2 then I would suggest using the version included in the latest Twine 2 beta application, although I would not suggest actually using the beta application itself as doing so can make it difficult to go back to the current stable release of the Twine 2 application.

note: Because there is no official hosted release of the Harlowe 2 beta you will need to be using one of the downloadable releases of the current Twine 2 application, either the install-able or the downloadable web-browser based release will do.

There are a number of ways you can obtain a copy of files related to the Harlowe 2 beta from the latest Twine 2 beta release, one of the simplest is to:

1. Download the twine_2.1.0b5.zip file from the Downloads section of the Twine 2 project website.

2. Extract the files contained within twine_2.1.0b5.zip archive file onto your local hard-drive.

3. View the story-formats folder in the extracted files and locate the harlowe-2.0.0 folder

4. Move the harlowe-2.0.0 folder to the story-formats folder of your locally installed release of the Twine 2 application.

5. Use the Add a New Format option to add the Harlowe 2 beta, the URL should look something like the following:
    file://story-formats/harlowe-2.0.0/format.js

• Thanks for all your help. I've decided to give sugarcube 2.0 a try now and so far liking it (apart from a few minor css related issues).

Snowman feels to much like just putting a html page together with JavaScript which I could do without using twine at all.

Sugarcube allows me to run JavaScript functions and pass JavaScript objects around in variables which is good enough for what I want.

I may try compiling Harlowe 2.0 at a later date just to see what its like but I kind of hit a ceiling with Harlowe pretty quickly when things I were trying to do started to get a bit hacky.