Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there a way to see and edit the source code of a story? (Harlowe/Twine 2)

edited January 2017 in Help! with 2.0
Or is there an editor the I can upload the .html file to and edit it? All of the editors I've seen are just text editors. I can't find an option anywhere in Twine and I can't find a post on it either.

Comments

• Was the html file written in Twine? You can import it from the menu in Twine 2.
  • As explained by @Chapel, if the Story HTML file was created using the Twine 2 application's Publish to File option then you can use the Import From File option to add a Story Project containing the story's passage meta-data to your application, the same Import From File option is also used to import story projects contained within a Story Archive HTML file previously created using the Archive option.
  • Yes, I do use archive and publish to file. That's not what I was asking, though; I apologise for being unclear. I'm wanting to use functions that aren't available with Twine. I'm looking for a different program to edit it with.
    I'm using a Chromebook. I'm not sure how other computers work but all I can do with this is open the file in my browser and run the game. I can't edit any of the file to, say, add more easily controllable background music than is available with Twine.
  • 1. Manually edit Story Project files.

If you are using the installable release of Twine 2 then you could try using a Text Editor to edit the Story Project files found within the folder accessed via the application's Twine > Show Library menu items. Although these files have a HTML file extension they are not actually a HTML Document, instead they contain the tw-storydata, script, style and tw-passagedata tags/elements that make up the meta-data of your story project.

note: Some care needs to be taken if you plan to edit the contents of those tags as there structure is important if you want the Twine 2 application to be able to create a Story HTML file from one.

2. Using TWEE like files.

I suggest searching the forums using twee or twee2 to find topics like the following:
    a. Using external IDE
    b. Scrivener and Twee2

Which talk about using tools like entwine, tweego, and Twee2 to build Story HTML files instead of the Twine 2 application.