Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Goto Macro in Sugarcube 2.12.x & Twine 2.1.0

edited February 2017 in Help! with 2.0
Okay. I was wondering - if there were a way to make a goto link to another passage via clicking - but to have the Passages not connected together in the Editor? Or am I missing something simple?

As it is, my Editor workspace is a big mess - and I was hoping to sort it by 'rooms' and have passages be linked to the rooms, but not every other passage.

For example, I'm in the Bar room, and I have a few links that can go to different 'rooms', but I would like to have them move the Player to those Room Passages without showing an arrowed connection in the Editor?

Does that make sense?

Comments

• You're missing something simple. You do not need the <<goto>> macro to accomplish that—you almost never need the <<goto>> macro.

Use the separate argument syntax of the <<link>> macro like so:
    <<link "LINK_TEXT" "PASSAGE_NAME">><</link>>

That will create a link that does not appear on the story map.

Why that works: Currently, Twine 2 only creates passage connection arrows on the story map for the wiki-style/double-square-bracket syntax, which is common to all story formats—i.e. a link. Creating a link via any other method will not trigger the connections. It also bypasses automatic passage creation as well, so you may end up having to create some passages manually.
  • edited February 2017
    Thank you! :) I figured I was missing something obvious. :) Again. hehe. Thanks. I *did* use the <<link>> macro but I was doing it incorrectly, since it was still using the double bracketed links enclosed in " "'s. So I was almost there.

I don't mind creating passages manually - since in this version I'm doing things a little different anyway, so the passage titles will change anyway. Plus I can always do an automatic link 'creation' then edit it to be the <<link "" "">><</link>> format.