Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Coming from 1.4.1 - a couple questions

edited February 2017 in Help! with 2.0
I haven't used Twine since then, so the new version is quite the change. Going to stick with Sugarcube.

What I would like to have back is a way to edit the sidebar. More than just the game's title, previously I could put links, ads, etc.

Remove the save option or have one save state only.

And remove the ability to go back to the previous passage when playing the game.

thanks

Comments

• First, you make sure you're using the latest version of sugarcube, then check out the documentation:

motoslave.net/sugarcube/2/

Almost everything you asked for is part of the config object. As far as altering the side bar, use the special passages, like StoryMenu.

Sorry for not giving specifics, but it's all in there if you read it. If you have trouble let me know.
  • Thanks for your help and the links. I'm not sure what else needs to be in the Story Javascript. I can't just add

Config.history.controls = false;

So I must need other standard javascript like <script type="text/javascript"> or something?

I'm just not understanding the config object. The instructions say to use the Story Javascript.

• edited February 2017
    No, you shouldn't need anything else as far as I know.

Are you sure you're using the latest version of Sugarcube (specifically Sugarcube 2)? Sugarcube 1 is included by default in Twine 2; you'll need to manually install sugarcube 2. The syntax for doing things is significantly different between the two versions. There's a guide here fo how to install sugarcube 2 if you need it. I'm pretty sure you have to download an offline copy of Twine 2 for this, which is a good idea anyway for a number of reasons.

Since you're presumably just starting a project, it's a good idea to start with the latest version, but if you don't want to do all that, sugarcube 1's documentation is here.

The code to disable history controls in sugarcube 1 is:
    config.disableHistoryControls = true;

• Muze wrote: »
    Going to stick with Sugarcube.
    I am assuming when you say 1.4.1 you mean Twine version 1.4.1 (which was not the last version of Twine 1.x, that was 1.4.2)

It is unclear when use say Sugarcube if you mean SugarCube 1.x or SugarCube 2.x and you don't state which version of SugarCube you were using with Twine 1.4.1

If you were using an older version of SugarCube 1.x and now want to use SugarCube v1.0.35 then you should read the Instructions for upgrading from prior SugarCube releases found on the SugarCube 1.x documentation.

If you were using an older version of SugarCube 2.x and now want to use SugarCube v2.12.1 then you should read the Instructions for upgrading from prior SugarCube releases found on the SugarCube 2.x documentation.

You should also read the passage name section of the relevant documentation (1.x or 2.x) because some special passages have changed purpose or are no longed used.
  • Sorry I didn't download the latest Sugarcube 2 - hence the issues. I was able to solve it, should I decide to use Twine 2 in the future.

As it turns out Twine 2 doesn't allow importing of images or anything directly into the Twine game at this point so I'm going to continue to use 1.4.x. That's what I used for my last release and it worked great. I did see 1.4.2 as the last version of 1.x but read that it was buggy? Perhaps not?

Only other decision is whether to use Sugarcube 2 with Twine 1 or Sugarcube 1. I'm going to try to use the newer Sugarcube 2 and see how it goes.
  • 2.1.0 Twine is now up - it has the current build of Sugarcube now. 2.12.2? I'm not exactly sure what number Sugarcube is up to now. It also has the beta of Harlowe format 2.0.0 too.
  • 1.4.2 is less buggy than 1.4.1 - bug fixes are about the only difference.