Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to make text appear a few seconds after a click in Harlowe?

I'm fairly new to Twine and not sure how to do this.
I want a player to click on a certain word/sentence, and then after a few seconds make another sentence appear.

Comments

• edited February 2017
    What version of Harlowe are you using?

Try something like:
    (link: "Click me")[(live: 2s)[ "Hello" (stop:)]]

Or:
    (link-reveal: "Click me")[(live: 2s)

[ "Hello" (stop:)]]

Edit Change the amount of time waited by changing the "2s" in (live: 2s) to whatever you want, and be sure to include the (stop:) command.
  • edited February 2017
    @zanefulton
    When asking a question you need to state both the name and version of the story format you are using, as answers may be different for each one.

It would help if you explained where you want the second sentence appear to appear after the time delay, as this can influence the possible solutions.

@Chapel
    The format of your <<link-reveal>> example is only valid in Harlowe 2.x, in Harlowe 1.x it would do the following:

1. Display a Click me link followed by a close square bracket.
    2. When the Click me link is clicked the close square bracket is instantly removed and replaced with the text [ "Hello" ] displayed two lines below the link.

Even though Harlowe 2.x supports adding white-space between a (macro:) and it's associated hook I would suggest not doing this in examples, especially if those examples may be also used with Harlowe 1.x
  • @greyelf I'm new to Twine and also wondering how I can trigger text to appear a few seconds after a link is clicked.

For instance:
    by [displacing]<displacing| their hostile attraction,

(click: ?displacing)[hence they celebrate fictions]

(live: 3s)[then perhaps they also engage in(stop:)]

How do I get the (live:) countdown to be triggered by clicking the displacing link?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!