Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Twine (Sugarcube 2) has stopped creating new passages with new links. Is there a simple solution?

Basically, when I type standard links into a passage eg linkylinky and linky2, twine sometimes will only creae one passage, and sometimes will create neither. If I manually create the passage, it then links them. Have I done something weird with a setting somewhere? Should I uninstall and reinstall? Would love some advice if anyone recognises this problem.

Twine 2, Sugarcube 2, Linux version (running on Mint).

Comments

• Which version of Twine 2 are you using?
  • I'm using 2.1.0
  • UPDATE: It has also apparently stopped saving. Did a bunch of work a few nights ago, when I loaded it up yesterday, it was gone. Redid it all, then I loaded it up today and gone again.
  • Okay, so I reinstalled and when that didn't fix it, I deleted all my working files, reinstalled and tried again, and now it seems to be working. I need to be very careful with backups as I keep coming across file corruption/twine faults that I can't solve.

Anyway, just wanted anyone wondering to know that deleting the original working file and then replacing it with a backup solved the problem. (overwriting the working file didn't).
  • vicorva wrote: »
    I need to be very careful with backups...
    How are you backing up your Story Projects?
  • Currently, I publish to file and save to a separate folder every time I close. Once a week I publish to file to a usb.
  • I just ran into that problem too - I've double checked my [[ ]] links and there is one Passage it just refuses to link to - via connector, at least. I'm using 2.14 SC, Twine 2.1.1

So I'm not sure what's the problem. I did convert it from <<link "Link description" "Passage Name">><</link>> format - I was trying to make my map look somewhat modular but reverted some of the <<link>> formatting back to Passage but there is one Passage it refuses to 'link' to, visually. Argh. I think it's a bug.
  • Gryphbear wrote: »
    ... there is one Passage it just refuses to link to
    What was the name of that passage? or what name were you trying to change it to?
  • edited March 2017
    @Gryphbear Could you post a Twine 2 archive of your project? Also, what is the passage name?
  • Bar Counter Area is the name of the Passage. I have it set as Bar Counter Area
  • @Gryphbear
    Could you post a Twine 2 archive of your project?

Uh, how do I do that exactly? I mean I see the Archive button but it seems to archive the whole list of projects?
  • If you're using the NW.js-based/executable edition of Twine 2, you can find the individual project archives under your user documentsTwineStories directory. Alternatively, you could post a published version of your project, but the archive would be better.

If you're using the browser-based edition of Twine 2, then there's no way to get individual archives, so you'll have to post a published version of your project.
  • edited March 2017
    If you're using the NW.js-based/executable edition of Twine 2, you can find the individual project archives under your user documentsTwineStories directory. Alternatively, you could post a published version of your project, but the archive would be better.

If you're using the browser-based edition of Twine 2, then there's no way to get individual archives, so you'll have to post a published version of your project.
    Ah okay. I see. I do have that - the offline version (NS.js, etc) Do I need to post it here? After all, I have a chunk of my story on it, and it's sorta NSFW (It's a Gay bar) - although nothing explicit is written yet.
  • edited March 2017
    Sending it via Dropbox... And in a PM to you, @TheMadExile

Thanks @greyelf
  • Gryphbear wrote: »
    Do I need to post it here?
    Upload it to a file hosting service like Dropbox or Mega and send the related URL to TheMadExile in a Personal Message (PM).
  • @vicorva and @Gryphbear

The key to both automatic passage creation and connection arrows failing is multiple links within a source passage to a destination passage—well, that's Gryphbear's issue, I'm assuming it's yours too vicorva.

If a source passage contains multiple links to a destination passage, that somehow breaks both automatic passage creation of the destination passage, if it didn't already exist, and the connection arrow from the source passage to the destination passage, if it does already exist.

I've created an issue for the bug on Twine 2's tracker: [Twine 2.1] Multiple links to a passage break passage creation and connection arrows.
  • So, you figured out the problem? Awesome. So it wasn't my link creation. Thanks :) I think I can come up with a workaround for now.
  • edited March 2017
    A workaround in SugarCube is pretty easy, simply have exactly one double square bracketed link within any origin passage to the destination passage. If you need additional links beyond the first, use the separate argument version of the <<link>> macro. For example:
    → First link to the destination passage within the origin passage
    [[…|Bar Counter Area]]

→ All subsequent links to the destination passage within the same origin passage
    <<link "…" "Bar Counter Area">><</link>>

Annoying, but it should work until Twine 2.1 can be fixed.
  • A workaround in SugarCube is pretty easy, simply have exactly one double square bracketed link within any origin passage to the destination passage. If you need additional links beyond the first, use the separate argument version of the <<link>> macro. For example:
    [[…|Bar Counter Area]]

→ All subsequent links to the destination passage within the same origin passage

Thank you! This may very well have been my problem. I hope the issue gets fixed eventually, but in the mean time, I'm very pleased to have a workaround!
  • A workaround in SugarCube is pretty easy, simply have exactly one double square bracketed link within any origin passage to the destination passage. If you need additional links beyond the first, use the separate argument version of the <<link>> macro. For example:
    [[…|Bar Counter Area]]

Ah, and I was goign to have empty Passages that it led to, such as "Bar counter 1", etc, then in those Passages, have a single goto Bar Counter Area. lol