Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seedship

I've just launched my first proper Twine game! In Seedship, you control an AI spaceship filled with frozen colonists, searching for the best planet to found a new colony. It's based on randomly generated planets, random events, and procedurally generated text when you found the colony, so it should have high replay value.

Play it here: http://philome.la/johnayliff/seedship/play

It was created with Twine 1.4.2 using the Sugarcube 2 story format.

Comments

• edited March 2017
    An absolutely wonderful piece of work! Engrossing, and very well designed... and... gah... must play again!!!

Thank you! =^^=

EDIT: and for the record: 11220 points. Because aliens. *sunglasses*
  • edited March 2017
    That was the first Twine game I've played in forever that was truly and honestly engaging.

The writing was excellent, with only necessary and effective words used, and no purple prose at all (So rare in a Twine game).

The gameplay was also simple on the surface, but increasingly complex as you moved on, and highly engaging.

You seem to understand that fluffy graphics are not always needed for a great game, and the minimalist approach really works here.

And the fact it has replay value is something that is icing on any game. By the end, you feel you've taken a unique path, and been delivered a unique experience different from other players based on your actions.

My only critique would be the fact that you have to repeatedly click to get each sentence to show up at the start. This was a little bothersome for me, and kind of hid the high quality game that lay beyond it. If I was a less patient person, I would have quit when I hit it, but thankfully I didn't.

Great job!

P.S I only got 7248. My planet was very habitable and there were beasts of burden, but I took too many hits to the cultural database and wound up with a police state restricting access to it. Nice lesson there!
  • 12120! Aww, I'm sad it was so short.... but wonderfully done! May I ask how you did the renaming of the planet? For example, mine suggested 'Garden' but when I clicked on Garden, it allowed me to type in my own name. Do you have the code for that handy? I don't think I've seen it before.
  • Thank you all! These comments have made my day. :smile:

The name entry works by having two <span>s, one with the original name, and an initially hidden one with the dialog box. The original planet name is a link that runs some javascript to hide the first span and show the second. The dialog box itself is linked to the planet name. Then the 'Done' button in the second span hides that span and re-shows the first, as well as updating the text inside it to reflect the changed name. Here's the code:
    name their new world

<span id="name">
    <<link $planet.name>>
    	<<script>>
    		$('#name').hide();
    		$('#name-dialog').show();
    	<</script>>
    <</link>>,

<<switch $planet.name>>
    	<<case "Inferno">>because of its extreme heat.
    	(various cases for other names)
    <</switch>>
    </span>

<span id="name-dialog" style="display:none">
    	<<textbox "$planet.name" $planet.name autofocus>>

<span id="enterAct"><<link "Done">>
    		<<replace "#name">>
    			<<link $planet.name>>
    				<<script>>
    					$('#name').hide();
    					$('#name-dialog').show();
    				<</script>>
    			<</link>>.
    		<</replace>>
    		<<replace "#planet-stats">><<displayPlanet true false>><</replace>>
    		<<script>>
    			$('#name').show();
    			$('#name-dialog').hide();
    		<</script>>
    	<</link>></span>
    </span>

There's also some Javascript (not shown here) that limits the length of the name dialog to 20 characters, and that clicks the 'Done' link for you when you press the Enter key.
  • Thanks for sharing!

I also followed you over to your patreon.... looking forward to your next project! ;)
  • Thank you! I really appreciate your support. (You're my first patron beyond my real-life friends and family.)

I've just released an update that fixes a minor bug and a few typos.

It's cool to see people's results and scores! By the way, the highest I got in my repeated playtesting was about 14,000.
  • edited March 2017
    Man, it took me like 12 tries to get the post-singularity galactic enlightenment society. You learn real quick that those science, culture, and landing modules are worth preserving.

(And to pray like crazy for alien contact, unless they run off with your preserved settlers... damn tentacles!)

The saddest was when all my sensors failed and I didn't have any probes or resources left, so I had to land on a world... which so happened to be very icy.

'Arctica' was so hostile the 220 survivors died, leaving nothing but a landmark on an alien world.

... And the fact that ending happened was badass.
  • This is a great game! It fun to realize how hard it can be to balance all the various systems and requirements and the likelihood of getting a perfect situation is pretty moot. I ended up with a Big Brother Society and a planet ruled by Corporations on my first two tries because of that. I would definitely consider any more Twine game from you in the future. :)
  • This was FUN! I lost all my probes, 123 colonists, my resource and atmosphere scanner(which I got back to semi working status), the construction system failing, and thought everyone would die. Somehow I managed to find a wonderful planet!
    alien forests stretch away beneath a blue sky. The colonists live in high-tech cities beneath the planet's open sky, beside rivers that flow into the planet's oceans. They live lives of peace and spiritual fulfilment beyond the dreams of their ancestors on Earth, guided by a combination of human and alien philosophy. In the first city stand monuments to the 123 colonists who did not survive the journey and the seedship AI that guided humanity to its new home.

Thanks, for the FUN!
  • I got a Paradise planet on my second try. It's AMAZING.
    Planet Paradise
    Atmosphere:  Breathable   Features:  Metal-rich moon
                                         Poisonous plants
                                         High-tech ruins
    Gravity:      Moderate
    Temperature:  Moderate
    Water:        Oceans
    Resources:    Rich

Paradise's alien forests stretch away beneath a blue sky. The colonists live in high-tech cities beneath the planet's open sky, beside rivers that flow into the planet's oceans. The cities are dominated by the headquarters of wealthy corporations that rule the population for their owners' enrichment. In the first city stand monuments to the 52 colonists who did not survive the journey, the 333 more who died building the first settlement, and the seedship AI that guided humanity to its new home.

Not sure if I can beat that, but definitely will play again!
  • GoblinSpaceWizard, I like how elegant and polished this game is. I very much liked your design choices and attention do details, I'm sure I would enjoy something longer made by you. I don't know if that was intentional, but I found interesting that you can send a surface probe to get an immediate scan results. Nice little touch, and useful for speedruns :smile: (Maybe you can add a timer in seedship 2 :wink: By "timer" I mean one collonist dying every few seconds)

I would change only one thing - on my resolution entering "Credits" screen results in showing a scrollbar. But I understand not everybody hates scroll bars as much as I do.

Thank you for sharing your work.
  • Thank you!

Regarding something longer, I made Seedship after I realised that the elaborate open-ended space exploration game I wanted to make was too ambitious for a first game. Someday I want to come back to that or some other large-scale game, once I've had some practice from small-scale games.