Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Automatic progress saving [Snowman 1.3]

I tried posting this on the twinery.org/questions forum, but never received a response to my second question.

Could someone please explain how to setup automatic progression saves in JavaScript? I'm writing a fairly long CYOA, and this would be incredibly useful to me. The system needs to save variables, player name, and start at the point they left off.

A user by the name of Chapel from the aforementioned forums suggested I use the Story.checkpoint() method, but I don't know how to implement it, and would appreciate some additional information on the code.

Comments

• The story format you've chosen, Snowman, is the much-assembly-required format—per its own description: "A minimal story format for authors experienced with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript" (emphasis mine).

Most things are not as easy as "explain how to setup", but rather "explain how to write what I want from scratch" and you need to come to terms with that. I'm not trying to be a jerk here, however, you have to temper your expectations.

That said, I've added an answer to your question which may do what you need.
  • I appreciate you being straight-forward. I'm sure there are some courses I can take for those programming languages. And thank you for clearing that up, if I need something this complex again, I'll be more direct in my initial question.

I'll migrate over to the new forum to follow up on your response. Thank you!