Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An easy way to copy passages?? (else:)[feature request]

Hi,

I'm not sure if @klembot is in charge of the program side of things... but I had a question as to whether there was an easy way to copy passages within the story (other than opening up passage, copying, starting new passage, pasting), and also a way to copy passages from one story to another.

It doesn't seem to be a feature that is available in Twine 2.0

If that is the case, I would like to request/suggest such a feature, as it can greatly help with the organizing of a story.

For example, I am currently testing a particular game type function within twine that I will probably want to use in a larger story, once I have ironed out all the wrinkles, and having a simple copy and paste at the passage level (ie. select a bunch of passages, copy, then go to another story, and paste... and presto, those pasagges are now all imported into the new story), would be great.

Obviously, this is just an idea which may not be workable.

Just a thought

Comments

• In twine 1, if you select the passage you can use the Edit menu to select copy and paste. No idea if that works in Twine 2 however..
  • mykael wrote: »
    In twine 1, if you select the passage you can use the Edit menu to select copy and paste. No idea if that works in Twine 2 however..
    An even easier way in Twine 1 was to have the common passages in a second TWS file and then to include that second TWS file into your main TWS file using a StoryIncludes special passage.

This method also does not work in Twine 2
  • edited June 2015
    Sounds a bit like SugarCube's widgets, which can be used in Twine 2.

Regardless, you can do this in a kinda roundabout way. Take a published HTML file, and copy the passages from the html output into a published HTML file of the new story. Then import the combined file, and everything in that old story will be in the new story too.
  • edited June 2015
    @mykael, no that feature doesn't currently work in 2.0
    greyelf wrote: »
    An even easier way in Twine 1 was to have the common passages in a second TWS file and then to include that second TWS file into your main TWS file using a StoryIncludes special passage.

This sounds like the thing I would really appreciate. Hopefully it will be included in a later version of Twine 2.

• Claretta wrote: »
    Regardless, you can do this in a kinda roundabout way. Take a published HTML file, and copy the passages from the html output into a published HTML file of the new story. Then import the combined file, and everything in that old story will be in the new story too.

Excellent! I never would have thought of that. Thank you!!

• Do the import before you write any passages in the new story however, to avoid creating conflicts with passage id numbers.
  • Claretta wrote: »

Excellent! I never would have thought of that. Thank you!!

I tried it, and it seems it is not a straight forward thing as the passages all appeared on top of the others. (I'll have a look later as there is probably something I can tweak when copying the data from one HTML onto the other, that will help the new passages appear at the bottom of the others in the twine interface.

• That said, there is an even simpler way.

Just create a "base" story with the required passages, and every time you want to start a new story, import the story, then rename it.
  • edited June 2015
    You can duplicate a story right now, but not individual passages (especially inter-story). Feel free to add this to the bug tracker as an enhancement request.
  • klembot wrote: »
    You can duplicate a story right now, but not individual passages (especially inter-story). Feel free to add this to the bug tracker as an enhancement request.

Okay, thanks @klembot. I've added it as an enhancement request. (I hope I did it correctly).