Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Choice Tracker Feature?

I've been getting this quite a ton about games that I make: "Can you make it so that you can show how many people made what decisions?" It's a popular thing that Telltale does and it seems like it would be a staple worth going for, but the process seems long and complex. All I need to know is if and how it is possible to set something like this up with Twine 1.4 or even 2 for that matter.

Comments

• edited June 2015
    Do you want data for people playing on the same local machine, or globally for everyone who plays?

Local data can probably be done with a JavaScript function - see Remember and Rewind.

To capture global data, you need to do an http request for each choice you want to track - and then you need a web server to catch those requests and count them. Displaying the stats would be done by visiting the central web server.

You'd need to combine the two if you wanted to capture stats for offline play, but I suspect it's a pretty small percentage of total play if the game is web hosted.

If you're on a hosted environment like Kongregate they may have a API you can call to track some stuff - although you'd probably need a javascript wrapper to interface it to your Twine story.
  • Which story format are you using, it could make a big difference to solutions suggested.
  • I'm using Harlowe for all of my games, but I'm curious if it were possible with other formats (and whether or not it'd be easier to use one or the other for it).
  • Neoroman wrote: »
    ...but I'm curious if it were possible with other formats (and whether or not it'd be easier to use one or the other for it).
    Some story formats are easier to extend than others, SugarCube supports using Javascript to add custom macros/extensions to the built-in engine and has a macro for calling Javascript directly from your story passages, where as Harlowe current does neither of these things.

Both of the suggestions (local vs hosted) made by mykael will required using Javascript code to achieve the desired result.