Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Implementing a map?

Working on my adventure game, and I want to add a fullscreen map that can be seen by the player at anytime without losing their place in the story.

Is this possible, or do I have to have a tiny map on screen?

Comments

• Assuming you're using Harlowe:

You could have a link on every page like
    [[View Map->map]]

which goes to a passage that displays the fullscreen map.

Then, on the map passage, you could have a link to go back to the previous page, such as
    (link-goto: "Close map", (history:)'s last)

• To add to the comment above, if you tag a passage as "header" or "footer" you won't have to type the link every time.
  • Melyanna wrote: »
    To add to the comment above, if you tag a passage as "header" or "footer" you won't have to type the link every time.
    How do I tag it as a header?

• Assuming you're using Harlowe:

You could have a link on every page like
    [[View Map->map]]

which goes to a passage that displays the fullscreen map.

Then, on the map passage, you could have a link to go back to the previous page, such as
    (link-goto: "Close map", (history:)'s last)

Thank you Inspector
  • reedman wrote: »
    When you look at the top of an open passage editor you will see the Passage Name, then a horizontal line, below the line is the tag area and this is where you add tags to your passage.

To add a header tag you click on the + Tag link, type in the word header and then either press the enter key on your keyboard or click on the tick to the right of the input field. Now the passages is tagged as a header passage and Harlowe will treat it special.

• greyelf wrote: »
    reedman wrote: »
    When you look at the top of an open passage editor you will see the Passage Name, then a horizontal line, below the line is the tag area and this is where you add tags to your passage.

To add a header tag you click on the + Tag link, type in the word header and then either press the enter key on your keyboard or click on the tick to the right of the input field. Now the passages is tagged as a header passage and Harlowe will treat it special.

thanks. anyway to hide the header in specific passages?
  • Although the header tagged passage will be included at the top of every passage displayed you could use a $variable to control what part of the header passage content gets shown.

note: Both of the following examples rely on you assigning a default value to the relevant $variable within your story's startup tagged passage, which is the passage where you initialise all your story's $variables before you use them.
    You only need one of the following variables, depending on if you want to show or hide the header by default.
    (set: $hideHeader to false)
    (set: $showHeader to true)

An example that shows the header by default::
    (if: not $hideHeader)[The header content to be shown]

An example that hides the header by default:
    (if: $showHeader)[The header content to be shown]

note: Because the header passage gets processed before the passage being displayed does, you will need to change the value of the $variable in the previous passage.
  • Is it possible to have an image open in a popup?
  • note: Because the header passage gets processed before the passage being displayed does, you will need to change the value of the $variable in the previous passage.

The footer tag gets processed after the passage, though, so you can set the value of $variables in the passage itself before the footer is processed.