Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Importing a 2.0.3 archive into 2.0.8

After taking a writing break, I came back to some old stories, and they won't load in the latest Twine (2.0.8), either the online or installable.

The error message is: "An error occurred while trying to import this file. (t.attributes.ifid is undefined)."

The attached archive was created using the downloadable version of 2.0.3. I don't feel comfortable posting my other stories themselves now, but this one adequately demonstrates the issue. It also loads just fine in 2.0.3.

My goal is to be able to open those archives in the latest version of Twine and continue working on them. It seems reasonable to me to expect any archive that I produce in Twine to be readable in any future version, especially if I've only taken a break from writing for less than a year.

Comments

• This is a known bug in Twine 2 (versions 2.0.4–2.0.8) which affects all archives created prior to 2.0.4, there's an issue for it (#165) on the Twine 2 issue tracker. The bug has been fixed, however, a new release of Twine 2 containing the fix has not yet been published.

The basic problem is that Twine 2.0.4 added a new attribute to stories (ifid in this case), which is all well and good by itself. The code which imports story archives, however, cannot handle cases where the attribute is missing, which it is in all archives created prior to that point. So, kaboom!
  • Thanks for the explanation, and I'm glad there's traction on it. It's a big difference when considering a platform for creative potential. I'll continue using 2.0.3 for now, I suppose.