Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Harlowe: CSS Help - Three screen divisions, two with independent scrollbars

edited May 2016 in Help! with 2.0
[working with 2.0, Harlowe]
Good evening. I want to divide the screen in my game in the following way:
One little static sidebar for save/restore and inventory. I called this "SideBar".
One main section where the general passage is displayed, and that occupies about half the screen - preferentially a little bit more.
One "Contextual Info" section that displays dialog and actions options and descriptions of itens as the player interacts with them in the first section - and which occupies the other (horizontal) half of the screen - preferentially a little bit less. This is "dialogBox".

Having no knowledge in CCS, this is what i tried with modified codes from other times i asked for help here (thanks btw :3):
tw-passage tw-include[title="SideBar"] {
	width: 15em;
	position: absolute;
	left: -9em;
	top: 0;
	padding: 0.5em;
	text-overflow: clip
}

tw-passage tw-include[title="dialogBox"] {
	width: 15em;
	left: 0em;
	right: 0em;
	padding: 15.5em;
	text-overflow: clip
}
I thought it would be easy to just adjust the values and looked into the argument "absolute". Well, after i changed it to "relative" and things went full weird, i thought better to come to you again.
Not enough - i realized that in very long passages it wouldn't be good for the player to have to scroll all the away up everytime s/he wishes to check inventory. So, i thought about the two independent scrollable boxes working along with the static inventory section. I hope it isn't much of a trouble.
Thank you very much.

Comments

• It would help if you also posted the rest of your CSS, especially anything related to tw-story, tw-passage, and tw-sidebar.

Are your SideBar and dialogBox passages tagged with header or footer?
  • edited May 2016
    Thanks for the answering.
    Yes, they are tagged with header. But this is the whole CSS i'm using. The only code i omitted from my stylesheet was this first lines:
    body {
    	background-color: black;
    }
    tw-story {
    	font-family: "nunito-light";
    	color: #FFFFFF;
    }

This, followed by the code on the original post, is all the CSS i'm using.
  • As I explained in your Multi-pane Layout ... but built with Harlowe thread and commented on in the New, need help picking a story format thread there are issues that need to be solved when creating a multi-panel layout in Harlowe.

1. You want the extra panels to automatically update as the Reader navigates through your story and you want those panels to take up a fixed amount (width) of the horizontal area, but Harlowe defaults the tw-story element (the grand-parent of your header passages) to a width of 60% of the web-browser's current view-port/window width which means that if the view-port is narrow then the extra panels will overlay the passage text.

a. If you change the width of the extra panels to percentages then there will be a visible delay in the positioning/sizing of them because the width of the tw-story and tw-passage elements needs to be calculated first.

b. If you change the width of the tw-story element to a fixed size then you will need to add extra media at-rule based CSS to handle the different potential widths the Reader's web-browser view-port may be.

2. What to do with Harlowe's own side-bar which contains the Undo and Redo links.
    Your SideBar passage is currently positioned over Harlowe's side-bar, making it difficult to click on the Undo link.

The following is a very quick, rough and incomplete example of CSS that changes the all the relevant element to having fixed widths, it allows space on the left side for the Harlowe side-bar and it also fits everything into a width of 1024px to show what it would look like on a narrow screen. You will notice a slight delay with the sizing and position of the two extra panels.
    tw-story {
    	width: 1024px;
    }

tw-passage {
    	width: 524px;
    	margin-left: 200px;
    	margin-right: 300px;
    	border: 1px solid black;
    }

tw-passage tw-include[title="SideBar"] {
    	width: 200px;
    	top: 140px;
    	left: -200px;
    	padding: 5px;
    	text-overflow: clip;
    }

tw-passage tw-include[title="dialogBox"] {
    	width: 300px;
    	height: 100%;
    	right: -300px;
    	padding: 5px;
    	text-overflow: clip;
    }

... I added borders so that you can see the different areas, these can be removed.

note: both of the text-overflow: clip properties in your first example were missing their trailing semi-colon.
  • edited May 2016
    Thank you very much. I appreciate all the advices. This solved my problem. (: