Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Setting passage different tags

Hi,
Currently I am looking for a certain tag in passages and counting the number of passes. What I am looking for is a way to set
somehow the tag as a code, so that I can set multiple tags for different passages.

1st tag - do not count
2nd tag - count

For example if I come from A passage with 1st tag, into passage B i get standard message, but if I come from A with 2nd tag I get different one. Is that possible? Basically I want to add additional if/else for history of passages but according to tags and mix them with passages.

Comments

• Please help? I am stuck :pensive:
  • When asking a question you need to state the name and version of the Story Format you are using, as answers can be different for each one.

I am going to assume you are using the default story format which is Harlowe, although without knowing which version of Twine 2 you are using I don't know if it is Harlowe v1.2.2 or v1.2.3 but the following should work in both versions.

You can use the 'last' property of the (history:) macro to obtain the name of the previous passage, and the 'tags' property of the (passage:) macro to obtain an Array containing a list of the tags assigned to a particular passage.

The following example consists of three passages:
    1. First passage: assign a forest to this passage.
    This passage has been assigned a ''forest'' tag.

[[Show text based on tag of previous passage->Result]]

[[Passage with a different tag->Second]]

2. Second passage: assign a desert to this passage.
    This passage has been assigned a ''desert'' tag.

[[Show text based on tag of previous passage->Result]]

3. Result passage.
    (set: $tags to (passage: (history:)'s last)'s tags)\
    \
    The previous passage had the following tags: $tags

(if: $tags contains "forest")[You came from the passage with a 'forest' tag.]\
    (else-if: $tags contains "desert")[You came from the passage with a 'desert' tag..]\
    (else:)[You should never see this text!]

NOTES:
    a. If you are using the Harlowe 2.x story format you can change the $tags variable into a new temporary variable instead by replacing the dollar sign $ character with an underscore _ character, which will result in that Array not being saved in history.

b. The above example could also be implemented in SugarCube but the code would be different.