Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do I create a link for my story that others can use to play my game?

This is a terribly stupid question I imagine, but I am having actual, legit problems with this. According to the tutorial, which seems to be a little outdated because my twine doesn't look like that, it says to click "build story." Which I have done about 10 times without it working. I can see the game, and play it, but if I give the link to anyone else it simply says "access denied" to them.
I have windows 8.1 64-bit on my computer, and the twine I have downloaded is version 1.4.2 for Windows. I assume there must be a way for a 64-bit user to use this program despite the website saying: For Windows (32-bit), OS X, and Linux (32-bit). Have I downloaded the wrong version resulting in me being able to create me story without any problems, but not abel to share it, or what am I missing here?
If it helps, here's the link I get when I click "build story": file:///C:/Users/Bruger/Desktop/Dating%20a%20Lina.html

Comments

• The story HTML file you create is a standard web-application, and like other web-applications there are a number of methods you can use to make it available to others.

WARNING: Neither the Twine 1 or Twine 2 application has built-in functionality to help with the process of making your story HTML file available to others, that process is left up to the Author to handle.

Some of these methods include:

1. You can send the story HTML file (and any external image/audio/video files it needs) as an email attachment to those you want to share it with.
    I would suggest first using an Archiving Utility to bundle all the files into an archive file (ZIP, RAR, 7z, etc..) first, and then adding the archive file to the email instead of the HTML file itself.

2. You can upload the story HTML file (and any related files) to a file hosting site, and sending the link to the hosted file to those you want to share with.
    Again I suggest creating an archive file and uploading that instead.

3. You can upload the story HTML file (and related files) to a web-hosting site, and then send a link to the page to those you want to share it with. You can either use one of the existing web-hosting sites or create/buy your own.

note: Philome.la is a web-hosting site specifically setup to handle twine story HTML file, although as I understand it you will need to host any image/audio/video files your story HTML file needs else where.
  • Hello
    I use to put my stories on Github, and it works very well. Here is an example of a Twine-stoy repository : https://github.com/marathon67/mini-monde
  • Pierre wrote: »
    Hello
    I use to put my stories on Github, and it works very well. Here is an example of a Twine-stoy repository : https://github.com/marathon67/mini-monde

I can't figure out how to use this :(

greyelf wrote: »
    The story HTML file you create is a standard web-application, and like other web-applications there are a number of methods you can use to make it available to others.

WARNING: Neither the Twine 1 or Twine 2 application has built-in functionality to help with the process of making your story HTML file available to others, that process is left up to the Author to handle.

Some of these methods include:

1. You can send the story HTML file (and any external image/audio/video files it needs) as an email attachment to those you want to share it with.
    I would suggest first using an Archiving Utility to bundle all the files into an archive file (ZIP, RAR, 7z, etc..) first, and then adding the archive file to the email instead of the HTML file itself.

2. You can upload the story HTML file (and any related files) to a file hosting site, and sending the link to the hosted file to those you want to share with.
    Again I suggest creating an archive file and uploading that instead.

3. You can upload the story HTML file (and related files) to a web-hosting site, and then send a link to the page to those you want to share it with. You can either use one of the existing web-hosting sites or create/buy your own.

note: Philome.la is a web-hosting site specifically setup to handle twine story HTML file, although as I understand it you will need to host any image/audio/video files your story HTML file needs else where.

That seems like a really stupid choice for Twine to be brutally honest. "Hey, we give you the opportunity to MAKE a story, but want to be able to actually share it? Meh, go somewhere else."
    I was REALLY excited about this, and about how easy it was to create the story. But this takes down my excitement by like a hundred. It feels as if it's been made unnecessarily difficult to simply share what you've created. I'm less enthusiastic about Twine now. Not being able to actually build the story IN Twine seems like a bad choice.
  • I need to create an actual link for my story, and my future stories, so sending them through mail to anyone who might want to read it is just not an option. I need to be able to share it openly, through for example tumblr.
  • Don't bother answering this thread anymore. Delete it if possible. I have zero interest in a program that doesn't offer for you to actually share what you create. No wonder it's free.
  • Yeah, I totally get what you mean. Like when I draw something with Photoshop, it doesn't upload my image to the internet - I have to like find somewhere to upload it myself? - that's just a really stupid choice. And then I made a video with Sony Vegas Pro, but it didn't upload my work automatically to youtube? What a waste of money! And then I went to the store and bought a frozen Pizza, but it was all cold and inedible - it's like the store is all "Sure I sell you a pizza, but you wanna heat it up - go somewhere else!" - What a design-flaw. And they even expect you to pay for that stuff!!
  • AiraSora wrote: »
    Don't bother answering this thread anymore. Delete it if possible. I have zero interest in a program that doesn't offer for you to actually share what you create. No wonder it's free.

You're making an app, not a blog post. How did you expect this to work? Besides, it gives you an html file. That's infinitely more shareable than just about anything else you'd get from a similar tool, paid or not.