Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Passages bounce up and down when they don't fit on the screen

Hey all.  I've run into a bit of nastiness that I can't seem to figure out on my own.  Whenever the text of a passage runs longer than the length of the screen, the scroll bar on the side of the browser bounces up and down on its own (at least it does in Chrome; haven't tested it in anything else yet).  This wasn't happening when I was running without any of the sidebar options, but then I added the following CSS code to provide the player with bookmark and restart functionality:

[quote]#sidebar {
  position:absolute;
  top:0px;
  left:0px;
  width:99.2%;
  overflow-x:hidden;
  background-color:clear;
  border-bottom: clear;
}
#sidebar * {
  color: #2e928e !important;
  font-family: 'terminal';
  font-size:12pt;
  background-color:clear !important;
  display:inline !important;
}
#sidebar a:hover, #sidebar #snapback:hover,  #sidebar #restart:hover {
  color: #621921 !important; text-decoration:none!important;
}

#sidebar a:active, #sidebar #snapback:active,  #sidebar #restart:active  {
  color:#621921 !important;
  font-size:1.5rem;
  background-color:#000 !important;
  display:inline !important;
}
#sidebar li, #sidebar li > span {
  margin-left: 1rem;
  margin-right: 1rem;
}
#sidebar a, #sidebar a:hover {
  border: 0 !important;
  box-shadow: none;
}
.menu {
  background-color:#fff;
  color:#000;
  opacity:1;
  font-size: 1.5rem;
  border: solid #000 1px;
  box-shadow: #000 0.1em 0.1em 0;
}
.menu div:hover {
  background-color:#000;
  color:#fff;
}
#credits, #share#title, #titleSeparator, #sidebar li br {
  display:none !important;
}

Any idea what I'm knocking ahead against?

Comments

• Two questions:

1. By "bounces up and down on" do you mean that the scroll bar position indicator moves between the top and bottom of the scroll bar repeatedly.

2. Where is you mouse cursor positioned and are you moving it while this is happening?
  • 1. Yes, the scroll bar indicator zips up and down between the top and bottom of the bar.  You managed to put it far more eloquently than I, for which I thank you.

2. I'm not moving the mouse.  The cursor is just hovering in the spot where the last-clicked link was.

Weirdly, it doesn't happen every time I load up the game, and I can't seem to identify a pattern as to when it does and doesn't behave this way.
  • The reason I asked about the position of your mouse cursor is that I noticed a number of 'hover' based css rules in your example, and although I cant think of a reason why those particular 'hover' rules would cause the effect your seeing,  what you describe sounds like something is causing the 'focus' to move about on the page resulting in the browser moving from the top to the bottom of the screen and back again.
  • I'm pretty newbs at all this but I can't resist replying:

1) try it in other browsers

2) process of elimination -- figure out which css rule is causing the problem. It could be the "position:absolute", maybe.