Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well, this is different

edited April 2015 in Chit-Chat
Welcome to the new forums software! This brings a nicer interface which, notably, works much better on mobile phones. There will undoubtedly be a little rough going as we settle in here. If you have a complaint or suggestion, please reply here. If you're having trouble logging in or posting, you can also email forumchange@twinery.org for help!

Some things we know right now:
  • By default, you now see all posts mixed together when you first log in. You can either click a category on the left to see just that, or if you want to make the forum look like it used to, use the All Categories link, also on the left.
  • We think everyone's avatar image and password successfully made it over, but you may need to re-upload yours if it doesn't look correct to you. You can do that by clicking the gear icon on the left side of the page and then Edit Profile.
  • There are some attachments that got disconnected from their posts during the transition. Most of them came across just fine, though. We're working on getting them reconnected.

Comments

• Things are happening! Excitement is peak.

Echoing all klembot said above and adding the following:
    • Attachments have, to the best of my knowledge, been ported over. If there's any attachment you expect to see but can't, please let us know, and we will get on it ASAP.

• Do verify your avatar. Do accept my apology if you have to re-upload.

• Do let us know any formatting or tagging kruft you see. I may not be able to clean it all up, but I'd sure like to try.

• Preserving/bringing over post counts is yet to be done. Be assured your profile info will reflect your contributions again soon.
    We look forward to all your feedback. Hope this is overall a change to the good. Thank you for your patience and perseverance as we make the transition.
  • edited April 2015
    Is there any way to quote people?

[code]Also doesn't seem to work.[/code]
  • on the down side:
    • No quote markup
    • No code markup
    • No ability to either go to first post or most recent post in a thread
    • No support for landscape desktop screens.
    but I understand that mobile phone first is a major design point these days.
  • I found a plugin for quoting posts that I'll turn on later this evening-- we'll have to see how effective it is. There are a number of WYSIWYG editor plugins too. It is kind of surprising that the most popular one, which I grabbed, doesn't include a button for <code>.
  • Nice, klembot! Thanks for the feedback, Claretta and greyelf. 

IMO a big plus about Vanilla is that it does have plugins like these--that it can flex and grow with the forum. Looking forward to getting it growing. 

Thank you for these points, and do keep letting us know the things you find. 
  • I've turned on the Quote plugin and it seems to work pretty well. After experimenting with WYSIWYG editor options, I've decided to punt on it for now and switch to Markdown, with a toolbar for common formatting choices (including code -- that's the one with the C icon). This doesn't affect existing posts, but will be the setting for new ones.

I've also turned on Gravatars, which only affects folks who don't set an avatar image for this specific forum. It struck me as nice, but I'm open to feedback otherwise!

• edited April 2015

How do you use code? I seem to be mangling the code... See e.g. my latest post:

http://twinery.org/forum/discussion/2682/sugarcube-sidebars-and-save-files#latest

Random yellow highlighting and the forum deletes all my sugarcube macro examples, so am just left with:

"Put this in your passage: < >"

Which is not very helpful. :p

It's also messing up css, so the "#" character instead bolds it, making css hard to write out:

body

• edited April 2015

I figured out that it is < code >

But it still mangles the SugarCube macro syntex, even in < code >.

<< unless you put spaces before and after them >>

If I write that line without the spaces, this happens:

<>

• So the main way to put code into Markdown is to use the backtick, or ` character. Surrounding text with them, like this:

`<<if 1 + 1 eq 2>>Yes<<endif>>`

Turns it into:

<<if 1 + 1 eq 2>>Yes<<endif>>

You are also able to use HTML in Markdown, so that's why <code> worked-- but you run into problems with characters getting misinterpreted. I'll go back and edit your post for clarity. And, if there's an overwhelming dislike of Markdown among everyone, I can switch us to BBCode.

• What I'm discovering is that the Markdown format would not deal well with multiline code blocks in our instance. It expects you to indent them with tabs, which is not really feasible with the comment editor as-is. The past of least resistance now appears to be BBCode, so I've changed that.

As a nice bonus, switching to BBCode allows you to write <<macros>> without having to put them in code tags.

Thanks for bearing with us! As you can see, we are still figuring things out.
  • Thanks for the fast work. :)
  • edited April 2015
    Getting an issue with the code tags when used to write Javascript. See .e.g this code has lots of extra \ inserted, which breaks the javascript when copy pasted into Twine.
    macros.add("popup", {
    	version: { major: 1, minor: 0, revision: 0 },
    	handler: function ()
    	{
    		if (this.args.length < 2)
    		{
    			var errors = [];
    			if (this.args.length < 1) { errors.push("link text"); }
    			if (this.args.length < 2) { errors.push("passage name"); }
    			return this.error("no " + errors.join(" or ") + " specified");
    		}

var el = document.createElement("a");
    		el.innerHTML = this.args[0];
    		el.className = "link-internal link-popup";
    		el.setAttribute("data-passage", this.args[1]);
    		UISystem.addClickHandler(el, null, function(evt) {
    			var dialog = document.getElementById("ui-body");
    			$(dialog)
    				.empty()
    				.addClass("dialog popup");
    			new Wikifier(dialog, tale.get(evt.target.getAttribute("data-passage")).processText().trim());
    			return true;
    		});
    		this.output.appendChild(el);
    	}
    });

The actual source is

macros.add("popup", {
    version: { major: 1, minor: 0, revision: 0 },
    handler: function ()
    {
    if (this.args.length < 2)
    {
    var errors = [];
    if (this.args.length < 1) { errors.push("link text"); }
    if (this.args.length < 2) { errors.push("passage name"); }
    return this.error("no " + errors.join(" or ") + " specified");
    }

var el = document.createElement("a");
    el.innerHTML = this.args[0];
    el.className = "link-internal link-popup";
    el.setAttribute("data-passage", this.args[1]);
    UISystem.addClickHandler(el, null, function(evt) {
    var dialog = document.getElementById("ui-body");
    $(dialog)
    .empty()
    .addClass("dialog popup");
    new Wikifier(dialog, tale.get(evt.target.getAttribute("data-passage")).processText().trim());
    return true;
    });
    this.output.appendChild(el);
    }
    });
  • I think this is fixed now. I'm hoping that my change does not have bad side effects.
  • The following quote is for demonstration purposes only:
    klembot wrote: »
    I think this is fixed now. I'm hoping that my change does not have bad side effects.
    As you can see the default quoting mechanism's attribution is fubar'd. It also drops large swathes of code on the floor when quoting (apparently this happens when it converts the BBCode into HTML or something, there's a message), which is beyond less than ideal.

Additionally:
    * Can we get the number of lines in the comment textarea expanded? The default setting really hinders replying with technical details/code, and the way it's currently setup you cannot even use most browser's built-in expansion mechanism to make it larger.
    * Can we get the textarea to not be overflow hidden? The default setting makes scrolling around a large reply very bothersome.
    * If we're going to be stuck with BBCode, regaining something like the Markdown backtick (e.g. [tt] on the old forums) would be nice, because sometimes you want to show a small bit of code inline.

klembot wrote:
    What I'm discovering is that the Markdown format would not deal well with multiline code blocks in our instance. It expects you to indent them with tabs, which is not really feasible with the comment editor as-is.
    Depends on which flavor of Markdown you're talking about, some use the triple backtick (```) for code blocks (the single backtick is more for inline code). I'm unsure what's available for Vanilla, but Markdown would be an improvement here as long as would could get a workable code block.
  • Well, I'll be -- triple tick does work for long code blocks. (I was going by the quasi-official docs... which is a whole other discussion.) I am concerned, though, that this would not be obvious to people who aren't familiar with Markdown.

My concern about Markdown is that it does weird things if you don't mark code blocks as such. BBCode at least seems to leave things as-is, if blandly-formatted.

I've made the text box taller and turned the scrollbar back on as you suggested. I've also added a different BBCode parser which seems to fix the quoting issue. It doesn't seem to support [ tt ] -- that appears to have been an SMF extension, going by these docs.
  • Quick addendum -- [ font=monospace ] seems to do the trick, like this.
  • Those docs aren't official (quasi or not) for anything save Gruber's original Markdown parser (this is, stupidly, by design). You have to check each Markdown parser to see what it supports.
  • TWS files are currently disallowed as attachments.
  • Fixed now, I believe -- commented on your thread as well.
  • Nice. Also, since I didn't think of it before, adding .tw and .twee could be helpful as well (not strictly necessary, since they're plain-text, but it can't hurt).
  • Done and done.
  • Clearly no one has gotten perfection JavaScript on Twine 2.0.Neither have I but I have tried:
    localStorage.getItem('var')
    but I have not tried
    localStorage.getItem('$var').
  • Hi, I just joined a couple of days ago, so I'm not sure if this has been addressed anywhere. I understand you've recently had a major forum upgrade, but a lot of links in older posts don't seem to work any more.

For example, this post ...

http://twinery.org/forum/discussion/2614/harlowe-changing-background-color-for-one-chapter#latest

In the first comment from InspectorCaracal, there's a link to another forum post, but when I click on the link, it just takes me to the forum home page. I've been trying to learn about Twine and have been looking through a lot of older posts, and this happens a lot. It's frustrating when you can't find what you want, and it also renders many old posts useless because you can't go to the solution they suggest.

Sorry if I come across as whiny! I'm really excited about Twine and hope to participate in the forums, but I'm on a huge learning curve at the moment. I just wondered if this issue was something the admins were looking at.
  • Fixing broken links seems like a totally worthwhile goal. Let me consult with @AteYourLembas, who led the charge to the new forum.

I'm de-stickifying this topic since it's been a month since the switchover -- not trying to squelch discussion, just think it doesn't need to be front-and-center.
  • Interesting. Very doable. The old URLs look like this:

http://twinery.org/forum/index.php/topic,2372.msg7139.html

and it looks like if you take the number after "topic," and jam it into the new URL format it takes you where you mean to go:

http://twinery.org/forum/discussion/2372

That's the model we can follow to port URL formats when the time comes. Hope that helps as a workaround in the meantime.
  • Just a quick note that I think we've got redirects working for old forum links. Please post if you see problems!
  • Thank you for looking at this.