Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Custom save directory (e.g. dropbox folder)

Can we have an option (hidden if need be) to change the default save directory from the Documents folder to somewhere else? I have all my fiction in a dropbox folder so I can work wherever and keep it in sync and backed up. It would be great to have Twine save there too.

P.S. I am not talking about dropbox integration as seen here: http://twinery.org/forum/discussion/comment/8140/#Comment_8140

Comments

• Are you talking about the HTML5/Javascript web-browser based version of Twine 2 which uses the web-browser's built-in local storage to story your story projects, because the location of that is defined by the web-browser itself.

Or are you talking about the node-webkit based native Window/Linux/OSX application version of Twine 2
  • I was referring to the html browser version. But sure, if there's a solution for the native windows version of Twine 2, I'm all ears.
  • edited April 2015
    Twine 2 just saves (publishes, I assume) where you tell the browser to save to.

For example, mine goes to Downloads, not Documents, so I assume somewhere along the way, you told your browser to download to Documents.

If you wish for Twine 2 to publish to Dropbox without downloading everything else from the web to Dropbox, you'll probably need to use a different browser to use Twine, since Twine saves are only specific to the particular browser. E.g. if you do general web browsing in Chrome, use Opera for Twine and define its settings for Twine specifically.
  • I was assuming that when @vasconqs said 'save' he meant saving his story project, not generating his story HTML file via 'Publish to File'
  • I don't understand the referral to the documents folder in that case.
  • Whenever I use Twine 2's Publish to File option to save the story HTML file in either Firefox or Chrome on Windows 7 the web-browser's Save dialog remembers whichever directory/folder it last saved a file in. It does not default to the Documents directory/folder.
  • Perhaps I didn't explain myself well enough. Indeed, @greyelf has it right, I meant saving the story project, not generating the final html file.
  • edited April 2015
    The only way to transfer that between computers is to generate the HTML and import from another computer. Twine doesn't save to the documents folder at any point - it's all in the browser.
  • Thanks all,
    I was getting the windows native app and the html5 versions mixed up. I read up in the wiki. Still, the question remains.
    Be it in the browser, in a database, in a file, wherever, doesn't really matter from a user point of view.
    Please note, I'm grateful for the tool, it's great. I just think it could be even better if we could sync/backup using dropbox (or similar) across devices. And a custom save location location would be perfect.

Also, I checked out local storage in browsers and all kinds of problems seem to be possible with that. Updates, cache cleanses, overloads, etc. Is it safe?
  • The safety is to backup your files with the publish to file option.

You can also draft your story in an external program before copy pasting to Twine.

I find Twine itself difficult to write in, so I only use it for laying out passages. I use two other programs for actual writing. :p
  • edited May 2015
    Claretta wrote: »
    I find Twine itself difficult to write in, so I only use it for laying out passages. I use two other programs for actual writing. :p
    That's interesting, I actually find that Twine helps me write more easily when it comes to stories that fork into several paths. The flowchart aspect of it is magnificent. And the ease with which one creates or merges a new fork, it's a killer.
    I do use text editors (yes, .txt) for all my other writing which I tend to do on a cheap tablet with a quality external keyboard (no fans, silent machine). The work is automagically synced across platforms, so I'm kinda spoiled that way.
    Having to backup my files with a few clicks every time, and then load them up in another computer, and repeating the process if I change back to the original computer, while making sure I don't mix the versions, is a bit of a drag.
    The 2.0.4 release says that native apps "save your stories to your Documents folder, under Twine > Stories".
    So, pretty please, allow us to change that setting. :)
  • edited May 2015
    Twine has no text formating and I find the closed-in nature of the passages constricting.

Plus with Notepad++ I've written a user language to do Twine syntax highlighting for me, so coding is easier. Not to mention it autosaves for me as I write, so I can't lose any work.

The other thing is that if I keep my whole story in one text file as I write, I can easily search for variables and stuff with search functions. Also if I have duplicate passages I want to update, instead of updating each passage one by one, I can just do a replace all function. Twine will never have that convenience.

For story layout I use Chat Mapper. I have so many other passages used for transitions and debugging and stuff that my actual Twine layout is a total mess. Chat Mapper is super good as a flowchart tool.

Not to take anything away from Twine. I believe it to be one of the best tools for creating web interactive fiction. I've just never been impressed by its writing tools. :P
  • Claretta, you almost sound like you'd be happier using Twee or TweeGo (not saying that's a bad thing, BTW).
  • vasconqs wrote: »
    Thanks all,
    I was getting the windows native app and the html5 versions mixed up. I read up in the wiki. Still, the question remains.
    Be it in the browser, in a database, in a file, wherever, doesn't really matter from a user point of view.
    Please note, I'm grateful for the tool, it's great. I just think it could be even better if we could sync/backup using dropbox (or similar) across devices. And a custom save location location would be perfect.

Also, I checked out local storage in browsers and all kinds of problems seem to be possible with that. Updates, cache cleanses, overloads, etc. Is it safe?

No one has really addressed this yet. The native app saves my files to \Documents\Twine\Stories and I can't figure out any way to change that. I'd really like to have it save files to a dropbox because I often switch between my desktop and my laptop and it would be great to have it save there automatically, and make sure I'm working on the same file no matter what system I'm using. It's really frustrating not being able to do this.