Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seeking Creative Input: "Quiz" Game for School

Greetings!

This forum is full of creative types, so I thought I would ask for some advice here. :)

In my super-simple, basic "computers for teachers" class, we have been assigned the task of making a game. The only stipulation is the game somehow include 20 definitions out of a list we were given.

I decided to make a Twine game because I can't just take the easy route like at least nine out of ten students in the class and make a crossword puzzle or use some other online game generator like that. Everyone but me was done in the first ten minutes of class and were allowed to leave. A few stayed to chat, and my next class was in the same building, so I remained until then. Not a big deal.

Annnyway, I'd like my game to actually be fun.

Right now, I have all the definitions in a Twine story, a text input, and a few variables. The game picks a random question out of 56, asks it, and if the player types the right answer, the game displays "Correct!" or "Wrong" if not. After 10 questions, it tallies the score (e.g., 4/10 = 40%).

Boom. Assignment done. A+, 100%.

Except, it's not even close to fun and that's the most important aspect of a game!

This doesn't have to be the coolest game ever. But, I'd like to take some time and make it an imaginative and entertaining form of escapism.

Without going into it, I once made a board game of this sort where the players spelled words out loud to "slay" monsters, collect treasure, get keys to doors and chests, etc. It was so much fun, despite being a spelling bee at its core, when two friends and my sister and I sat around the table testing it out (while imbibing, which I'm sure helped), we ended up playing it for about four hours. We actually came back and played it a few more times. Some day, I should publish that thing.

I'd like to make something similar, but with Twine. I'm open to suggestions. Maybe someone on here will think of something I never considered.

Attached is a rough "quiz engine" for use in the actual game after making a few edits. Also, I can make a loop so that it never asks the same question more than once, but it's not important at this point.

Any ideas? :)

Thanks!

Comments

• Sharpe wrote:

In my super-simple, basic "computers for teachers" class, we have been assigned the task of making a game. The only stipulation is the game somehow include 20 definitions out of a list we were given.

Does it have any requirements on how those definitions should be used?

In general, I think it is more interesting to apply definitions than to just memorize them. So you could try to come up with some fictional challenge for the player character that involves the terms from the list.

Maybe you could reverse the question: use the definition in the passage and then let the player pick the term that most accurately fits that definition. Maybe dress it up as slaying a demon by revealing its name?

Sharpe wrote:

Without going into it, I once made a board game of this sort where the players spelled words out loud to "slay" monsters, collect treasure, get keys to doors and chests, etc.

There is a very nice word themed RPG: World Realms (commercial indie game). It's similar to Bookworm Adventures, but with more game play elements in it (less linear, conversations with NPCs, crafting). Plus it runs on Windows/Mac/Linux.
  • Note: Ninja'ed by MTH.

Okay, I thought of something.

The player takes the role of a spaceship pilot. The ship gets attacked. The computer is damaged somehow, maybe by a space virus weapon.

The computer won't perform needed tasks until the player identifies themselves as the true pilot. That can only be done by answering a bunch of quiz questions that "proves" they are who they say they are.

Each thing the player needs to do (e.g., raise shields, fire space torpedoes), they must answer a question.

If the player misses more than X amount, the ship will be destroyed. If the player misses less than X, the cargo is destroyed, but they survive. If the player misses only a few, the cargo is damaged, but they still manage to make it to where they are going. If the player misses none or almost none, they arrive relatively unscathed.

With me?

Maybe the player is on a humanitarian effort. They must get medical supplies to some population under attack by the evil alien empire, who are of course reptilian.

Does that sound about as fun as possible? It creates a sense of urgency, too.
  • mth wrote:

Does it have any requirements on how those definitions should be used?

Nope. The teacher is really flexible and nice. She'll take just about anything, I'm sure.

[quote]In general, I think it is more interesting to apply definitions than to just memorize them.

Oh, I agree. However, I do need to memorize these terms as they will be on a standardized test. Some of them are asinine, too. Nothing can be done about that. I can't change the curriculum, nor can the teacher.

[quote]Maybe dress it up as slaying a demon by revealing its name?

Normally, I'm all for fantasy; it's my favorite genre. But, these are computer-related terms. Some of them aren't even "real" and some of the definitions don't make much sense. But, whatareyagunnado?

[quote]There is a very nice word themed RPG: World Realms (commercial indie game). It's similar to Bookworm Adventures, but with more game play elements in it (less linear, conversations with NPCs, crafting). Plus it runs on Windows/Mac/Linux.

Cool! I watched a "let's play" on it:

Looked like a lot of fun. Too bad I don't have nearly enough time to make anything close to that complex. This is due Tuesday.
  • I think a little movement might help spruce things up. I coded a flyin window for you that displays whether or not you got the answer right. If you have problems implementing I'm on irc tonight.

::stylesheet
    response {
    display:table-cell;
    border-radius:35px;
    color:#FFF;
    text-align:center;
    vertical-align:middle;
    font-size:30pt;
    height:80px;
    width:300px;
    }

response#Wrong {
    background-color: red;
    }

response#Correct {
    background-color: green;
    }
    ::stylesheet (I recommend a second stylesheet for legibility and searchability)
    .animated {
    -webkit-animation-duration: 1s;
    animation-duration: 1s;
    -webkit-animation-fill-mode: both;
    animation-fill-mode: both;
    }

@-webkit-keyframes bounceInDown {
    0% {
    opacity: 0;
    -webkit-transform: translateY(-2000px);
    transform: translateY(-2000px);
    }

60% {
    opacity: 1;
    -webkit-transform: translateY(30px);
    transform: translateY(30px);
    }

80% {
    -webkit-transform: translateY(-10px);
    transform: translateY(-10px);
    }

100% {
    -webkit-transform: translateY(0);
    transform: translateY(0);
    }
    }

@keyframes bounceInDown {
    0% {
    -webkit-transform: translateY(-2000px);
    -ms-transform: translateY(-2000px);
    transform: translateY(-2000px);
    }

60% {
    -webkit-transform: translateY(30px);
    -ms-transform: translateY(30px);
    transform: translateY(30px);
    }

80% {
    -webkit-transform: translateY(-10px);
    -ms-transform: translateY(-10px);
    transform: translateY(-10px);
    }

100% {
    -ms-transform: translateY(0);
    }
    }

.bounceInDown {
    -webkit-animation-name: bounceInDown;
    animation-name: bounceInDown;
    }

@-webkit-keyframes bounceOutDown {
    0% {
    }

20% {
    -webkit-transform: translateY(-20px);
    transform: translateY(-20px);
    }

100% {
    -webkit-transform: translateY(2000px);
    transform: translateY(2000px);
    }
    }

@keyframes bounceOutDown {
    0% {
    -ms-transform: translateY(0);
    }

20% {
    -webkit-transform: translateY(-20px);
    -ms-transform: translateY(-20px);
    transform: translateY(-20px);
    }

100% {
    -webkit-transform: translateY(2000px);
    -ms-transform: translateY(2000px);
    transform: translateY(2000px);
    }
    }

.bounceOutDown {
    -webkit-animation-name: bounceOutDown;
    animation-name: bounceOutDown;
    }
    ::script
    macros['bounceIn'] = macros['stopsound'] = {
    handler: function(place, macroName, params, parser) {

var g=document.createElement('response');
    g.setAttribute("style", "position:fixed; padding-top:25px; margin-left:40%; margin-top:10%;");
    g.setAttribute("class", "animated bounceInDown");
    g.setAttribute("id", params[0]);
    var t=document.createTextNode(params[0]);
    g.appendChild(t);
    document.getElementById("passages").appendChild(g);
    setTimeout(function(){ g.setAttribute("class", "animated bounceOutDown"); },2000);

}
    };
    Usage:

<<bounceIn "Correct">> or <<bounceIn "Wrong">>

You can change the color and other stuff in the stylesheet. I think this adds a little bit of life and makes answering more fun.
  • How about defining a proof? Or proving a conjecture (geometry?)
  • Litpunk wrote: »
    How about defining a proof? Or proving a conjecture (geometry?)
    You are aware that this thread is from January 2014?