Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A tool to create Sega Master System games using Twine

Hello, I'm currently coding a tool named twee2sam: a tool that can convert Twee source files (that can be exported from Twine) into S.A.M. source files, which can then be compiled into Sega Master System ROMs.

So, you can basically write your story using Twine, export it to Twee using 'File -> Export Source Code' and then convert it to a S.A.M. project using twee2sam, wich can then be used to generate a Sega Master System ROM. The process may look a bit convoluted now, but that's because it's still under development; later on, I intend to more directly integrate the tool with Twine.

So far, the tool is minimally functional: Text works okay, links work okay, images work okay as long as they have the right size and pixel depth; conditionals, expressions and commands in general shall be supported in a future version (or a limited subset of them, anyway).

Current version

Comments

• Holy moly. Even at this initial stage, I think this is really nifty.
  • klembot wrote:

Holy moly. Even at this initial stage, I think this is really nifty.

Thanks.  :)

BTW, if anyone wants a precompiled version, you can get it from here: twee2sam preview version 2014-02-01a

What we have so far: Text works okay; links are turned into menu options; images work okay as long as they have the correct resolution and color depth; <<set>> and <<if>>...<<endif>> work okay, though, for now, with very limited expression support.

-- edit ---

BTW, here are some pictures:

This is from the test project:

undefined
    undefined

And this is from "Have Pity On Me", by Ian M. Burton and Nancy Ashworth (under development):

undefined
    undefined
    undefined
  • Hello, again.

A new version is now available: twee2sam preview version 2014-02-19a
    Basically, it corrects an annoying word-wrapping bug, and also has more efficient image compression.
  • Man, this is so cool. I only owned a NES and Super NES back in the day, but this is still nostalgic for me. Someday, I want to get around to using this.
  • Yeah, I also used to have a Master System and a Genesis back in the day... nowadays, I'm more of a PC-player, but I'm still very much interested in retro console programming: in addition to the nostalgia factor, coding for such limited hardware is an interesting challenge by itself; in addition to that, as paradoxal as it may sound, actually making tools to simplify development on such platforms is pretty fun, too.  ;D