Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cio (Work in Progress)

http://neoroman.neocities.org/Cio.html

I'm aiming to work out a few kinks here and there before I get to the rest of the story. Feel free to leave comments and questions as necessary!  :)

Comments

• Hey, cool! Looks good so far. :)

Looks like you're trying to incorporate some agency, and that's great. I want to play a game; not read a short story where I click a link to read the next paragraph.

Instead of the prompt for name input, I'd suggest another passage with :

<<textinput $playerName "Passage Title" buttonName>>

"Passage Title" need to be in quotes and will take the player to that passage after they click the button.

Looks like you're off to a good start!
  • Sharpe wrote:

Hey, cool! Looks good so far. :)

Looks like you're trying to incorporate some agency, and that's great. I want to play a game; not read a short story where I click a link to read the next paragraph.

Instead of the prompt for name input, I'd suggest another passage with :

<<textinput $playerName "Passage Title" buttonName>>

"Passage Title" need to be in quotes and will take the player to that passage after they click the button.

Looks like you're off to a good start!

Interesting. I looked up the textinput macro (pretty handy, to boot!) but I'm wondering if you can have the continue button appear as soon as something is entered into the text box.

I'm not quite sure what you meant regarding the whole omnipotent agency thing. Is the premise good or are these just good tips to follow when having one as an enemy?
  • Neoroman wrote:
    I'm not quite sure what you meant regarding the whole omnipotent agency thing.

Agency basically means choice and the ability to affect the game world and story in Interactive Fiction. 

From the link:

[quote]Lets say, for now, that agency is the players ability to affect the world and story, and it depends, in turn, on whether the player can form a reasonable guess about the results of an action before taking that action. If the player cannot guess or does not care where the action will lead, there is no agency; the player is providing the energy for forward motion but is not meaningfully steering the work.

So, a game with agency is the exact opposite of a story. Which, in my opinion, is a very, very good thing.
  • I see! Thanks for that! I'll definitely take an extended look at it as I keep working. Thanks for the tips!  ;D