Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Superhero character creator

I have been playing around with making a character creator for a superhero game. I start a of games and finish very few (not just in Twine) so I thought I would showcase what I have so far. the basic gimmick is that you get to design your costume. If anyone is interested, I will post the code.

https://googledrive.com/host/0B1XEumn1hhFKVVVHMlphMjQ1cWM/superhero.html

Comments

• Cool! :)

You going to make a combat system or anything? Like, for fighting crime? Or, maybe a simulator-type game like Tiny Weird Future Farm or Hero Contest?

You're like me in that you start a lot of these projects and never finish them. Gah.
  • Only a very limited combat system. Instead of hits points, you are fine, injured, badly injured or dead, and there are no weapons and no armour the player can put on. It may only be one passage for the whole combat, rather tan turns, and entirely deterministic (as otherwise you can click back and fight again until you win).
  • The wrote:

I have been playing around with making a character creator for a superhero game. I start a of games and finish very few (not just in Twine) so I thought I would showcase what I have so far. the basic gimmick is that you get to design your costume. If anyone is interested, I will post the code.

https://googledrive.com/host/0B1XEumn1hhFKVVVHMlphMjQ1cWM/superhero.html

Please do drop some code in here, having a look at code is always educational for some.

I also liked how you did the sentences with the player being able to click on a word or phrase to cycle through different words or phrases. What would be cool (although maybe not many would be interested in it?) is being able to play through a game and then save a transcript of it with all the chosen phrases in place and choices made in the game, so the transcript reads like one long story.  If its a short game then players can share their play through via the transcript if it has enough diversity to warrant having a transcript.

• How it works is it has a limited number of images that it puts on top of each other to give the final effect (so six images of capes for guys, six for girls, etc.).

It uses CSS to superimpose the images. Each image goes into its own <div>, which has an absolute position set. Sounds complicated, but the CSS code is just this:

div.abs-box {
        position: absolute;
        top: 200px;
        right: 0px;
    }

The basic Twine code looks like this - just a normal img tag inside a <div>, with the class set to correspond to the CSS already set. You can have as many of these on the page as you like; they will all get draw on top of each other.

<div class="abs-box">[img[m_red_cape]]</div>

However, what I did was set up a macro to handle it.

macros.pic = {
      handler: function(place, macroName, params, parser) {
        var s = '';
        if (sex) {
          if (cape != "") {
            s+= '<div class="abs-box">[img[f_' + cape + '_cape]]</div>';
          }
          s+= '<div class="abs-box">[img[f_' + suit + '_suit]]</div>';
          s+= '<div class="abs-box">[img[f_' + swimsuit + '_swimsuit]]</div>';
          s+= '<div class="abs-box">[img[f_' + belt + '_belt]]</div>';
          s+= '<div class="abs-box">[img[f_' + col + ']]</div>';
        } else {
          if (state.active.variables.cape != "") {
            s+= '<div class="abs-box">[img[m_' + cape + '_cape]]</div>';
          }
          s+= '<div class="abs-box">[img[m_' + suit + '_suit]]</div>';
          s+= '<div class="abs-box">[img[m_' + underwear + '_uw]]</div>';
          s+= '<div class="abs-box">[img[m_' + belt + '_belt]]</div>';
          s+= '<div class="abs-box">[img[m_' + col + ']]</div>';
        }
        new Wikifier(place, s);
      },
    };

It looks complicated, but all it is doing is building up a string, s, with a series of those img tags, then adding the string to the passage.

Then you need the images. I used PNG format, as it supports transparency, and edited it with GIMP. I started with two images, one for a guy, one for a girl. For each, I changed the cape colour using the colourise feature, saving each colour, then I erased the cape, and did the bodysuit, and so on.
  • I've been overlaying graphics in a FAR clunkier way. Dammit. :P

This is fun! One of the cycling animals is just a comma, btw. Also when I entered my name I thought that would be my superhero name, so a white kid named Mister Literature ended up becoming Aardvarkman. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Just saying. :D
  • Really handy Pixie, thank you!
  • I'm more interested in how you built your variable saving function.  It looks really slick compiled.  How did you do that?

-Crissa