Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taking a Twee (SugarCube) project into Twine

For the ease and comfort of coworkers, I eventually need to get my Twee project into Twine (using 1.4.2 beta 3). Unfortunately, I'm having a bit of trouble doing so.

The source of the current problem seems to be that when I include my StoryInit passage in a Twee file (i.e., as a line in the StoryIncludes special passage in Twine), it doesn't get compiled into the final HTML file.  Is this by design? I really want to keep all the scary code-like stuff in Twee and have only content appear in Twine. I include the text of my StoryIncludes passage for completeness (the other files are all loading as they should, only special-StoryInit.tw is not):
css.tw
css-scrollbar.tw
scripts-general.tw
scripts-images-new.tw
scripts-index.tw
scripts-sounds.tw
scripts-utility.tw
specials.tw
special-PassageDone.tw
special-PassageReady.tw
special-StoryInit.tw
StoryInfo.tw
Also, the Sugarcube page now refers to "Twine/Twee 1.4". Is there a new version of Twee? Is it somehow included with Twine 1.4?

Thanks!

Comments

• Erik wrote:

For the ease and comfort of coworkers, I eventually need to get my Twee project into Twine (using 1.4.2 beta 3). Unfortunately, I'm having a bit of trouble doing so.

The source of the current problem seems to be that when I include my StoryInit passage in a Twee file (i.e., as a line in the StoryIncludes special passage in Twine), it doesn't get compiled into the final HTML file.  Is this by design?

I just checked the Twine code, and yes, it seems that is by design.  The following passages are excluded from being loaded via StoryIncludes:
    StoryMenu, StoryTitle, StoryAuthor, StorySubtitle, StoryInit, StoryIncludes, StorySettings

I've no idea why that was done (frankly, it's daft), but that's how it is at the moment.  Posting a comment in the current beta thread would be the place to seek a change to that behavior.

As a workaround (temporary or otherwise), you could change the title of the StoryInit passage in your Twee source files to something like RealStoryInit, and then add a StoryInit passage to your Twine source which does something like:

<<display "RealStoryInit">>

Erik wrote:

Also, the Sugarcube page now refers to "Twine/Twee 1.4". Is there a new version of Twee? Is it somehow included with Twine 1.4?

Yes, there is a new version of Twee.  I'm unsure if it's part of the current Twine packages (beta or otherwise, look in the root of your Twine 1.4.x installation directory and see).
  • Thanks, that's helpful. I will post in the Twine 1.4.2 beta thread.

I actually looked for Twee 1.4 before posting; it doesn't seem to be bundled with Twine 1.4, nor has the github tweecode/twee repository been updated. Guess it is waiting on the official release of 1.4.2...
  • Erik wrote:

nor has the github tweecode/twee repository been updated. Guess it is waiting on the official release of 1.4.2...

Twee 1.4 is part of the Twine repo now (not the old Twee repo), so they can share code.
  • TheMadExile wrote:

I just checked the Twine code, and yes, it seems that is by design.  The following passages are excluded from being loaded via StoryIncludes:
    StoryMenu, StoryTitle, StoryAuthor, StorySubtitle, StoryInit, StoryIncludes, StorySettings

I've no idea why that was done (frankly, it's daft), but that's how it is at the moment.  Posting a comment in the current beta thread would be the place to seek a change to that behavior.

I checked, and it's been the case since the initial commit of StoryIncludes. I've neglected to give it much consideration one way or the other, and I guess I'll remove it now.
  • Great, thanks!
  • TheMadExile wrote:

Erik wrote:

nor has the github tweecode/twee repository been updated. Guess it is waiting on the official release of 1.4.2...

Twee 1.4 is part of the Twine repo now (not the old Twee repo), so they can share code.

Maybe someone could put a README notice in the old Twee repo pointing to the Twine repo?