Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

500 or so random names

Just hoping this little Twine snippet helps someone.  It's a massive list of around 500 names (which took me a fair few hours to format from the raw list) for each gender.  It's main purpose is for if you want characters with dynamic names or something in your story/game.  At the moment it's only first names, but I'm working on a surname list.

In the example I use a <<print>> statement, although it shouldn't be a problem popping it into a variable.

Hope this helps someone.

Comments

• I've got the surnames in the snippet now, so this will work either for dynamic characters or as a name generator if you need a character name.  There's around 200 surnames in there as well, so there's around 100,000 names that can be generated for each gender!

Examples of the first name can be found here, and the full version is here.
  • Nice one, Anton, just what  I needed.
    I've attached a modified version- I found that names change a lot over the years, so I added variables for babies names, teens, 25, 45 and 75 year olds (male and female) based on common names for those periods (taken off Western Australia's birth registry- so culturally fairly anglo- Australian). I took out some baby names that were also on the teen (15 year old) names list, but haven't stopped other double ups- so you could, feasibly, randomly generate 15 and 25 year olds with the same name- but I'm willing to take that chance.
    If anyone wants other nationalities, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_popular_given_names has a pretty comprehensive list.
  • youcancallmedavid wrote:

Nice one, Anton, just what  I needed.
    I've attached a modified version- I found that names change a lot over the years, so I added variables for babies names, teens, 25, 45 and 75 year olds (male and female) based on common names for those periods (taken off Western Australia's birth registry- so culturally fairly anglo- Australian). I took out some baby names that were also on the teen (15 year old) names list, but haven't stopped other double ups- so you could, feasibly, randomly generate 15 and 25 year olds with the same name- but I'm willing to take that chance.
    If anyone wants other nationalities, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_popular_given_names has a pretty comprehensive list.

The version you posted seemed to throw up errors with the variables for the name because they had numbers at the start of some of them ($75boy for instance).  I've made an alternate version and just replaced the numbers with the first letter for each number (e.g $sfboy). :)
  • Thanks Anton
    You're doing a great job at fixing stuff I prematurely upload. I will check (and double check) before posting again!