Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Status bar demo to share- am I doing it the most efficient way?

Hi people.
I've started a couple of stories, for teaching purposes. I needed a way of showing how the variables of $trust and $time appear to the user, so they knew when they'd built trust or wasted time. I've created the attached template, if anyone wants to copy it. It displays a five star rating by linking to the 'scorecard' at the bottom of each passage. I decided it would work best if I explained this as part of the storyline in the first few passages.

I'm not sure if this can appear at the bottom of the passage each time automatically- any suggestions, anyone? Maybe a CSS footer?

The story is almost done (I've cut out most of it from the attached). It occurred to me that this could also appear in the menu, so I've provided a version of that in the same document, using rectangular bars this time.

Hope this is useful to people.

Comments

• The bit where you gain or lose life throws up errors because you have set in the passage link.  If you remove the set however it works fine and it looks good too.

As an off topic, I like the options regarding confidentiality.  My wife works as a psychologist, and it's amazing how many people think they can tell her anything and she has to keep it confidential.  Is it a similar area you're planning to use Twine for?  The reason I'm asking is because my wife occasionally has to deliver training, and they actually use their own e-learning software, which to be honest probably isn't a bad thing because if she started using Twine I'd probably spend forever having to make stuff for her lol.
  • hmm.. I added the 'life' section at the last minute for demo purposes, when it occurred to me that it could be used in the menu space quite effectively. Have attached a fixed version.

Thanks for the feedback. My aim was to let the reader know, visually, when they were losing points in some form or other, as immediate feedback and incentive to get the best answers.

off topic- I teach social workers/ youthworkers, particularly on line. Confidentiality is mostly skipped over but acknowledged in this story, but is explored in another. It's the greatest trap faced by new youthworkers- they gain a little trust with a young person, who then asks "if I tell you something, can you promise not to tell anyone else?" Give the wrong answer and it gets messy, particulary when (sadly) so often the issue is sexual abuse or some other major concern. I think a good twine scenario can help here, since they know, in theory, what the correct answer is, but when faced with a real story they have to think a bit harder.

Will share end results- maybe something your wife can use/ steal/ adapt.