Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Spare Set - A Twine Game by UK Charity Shelter

Hello all,

For the past few months I have been working with the housing and homelessness charity, Shelter UK, to produce a Twine game to run alongside their summer campaign. It is called The Spare Set, and you can play it at the following link:

http://www.shelter.org.uk/twine

The IFDB page is here: http://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=dq148h8owh2asrbt

There will be some social media posts about it from Shelter tomorrow, but I wanted to post it first and foremost to the community which represents the technology that made it possible, and has helped my work immeasurably with their tutorials and advice. I wanted to create an experience for people to highlight the work that the charity does, as well as to draw people's attention to the issues facing many families in Britain today.

Every 11 minutes in England, a family loses their home, usually through repossession. This is often as the result of forces outside their control; an accident at home or work, a job loss or other incident which means that they begin to find it extremely difficult to keep up with the payments on their home. In fact, the situation is so dire that many people, even if they do not know it, are only one paycheque away from losing their home.

Shelter provides expert advice and legal representation to families at risk of losing their homes, equipping them with the tools they need to keep their lives on track. 'The Spare Set' is a fictional story of a woman named Lucy, a home-owner, office worker and mother-of-two who is in just such a situation. Players can explore her life right up until the point at which the incident occurs, and how things steadily get worse after this fact.

This is an experiment for Shelter, a new medium through which to grow understanding and empathy for a problem which can affect anybody. I hope you enjoy the game, and if you have any constructive comments or bug-fixes, please send them to:

digital_fundraising@shelter.org.uk

Comments

• I haven't played it through fully, but it's a really nice piece and makes you empathise with the character.

It's good to see Twine getting some recognition by being useful for a purpose that requires even more recognition.
  • Hi Commanderlaika

I played it for a while and found a bug or two. The fridge door passage had "No macro or passage called "playbgm"No macro or passage called "loopbgm".
    A page starting with the words: "Maybe if I'd actually picked up the house phone, maybe if I'd found out who it was...
    If I'd let Gas, our cat, indoors, if I'd had a good look for him, maybe..." was largely red, like it was supposed to be a series of links- but they didn't go anywhere (just the last link on the page)
    I spent a lotof time wandering around the house looking for bits of the costume, dithering around, trying to remember where i'd been and what parts of the story I'd heard already... and maybe that was the point. I felt a bit like the dithering woman herself in that regard, but struggled to see what it had to do with homelessness.
    ..but then I moved on to the next phase of the story, and loved it all- beautifully written, compassionately described. I've been a (youth and family) homelessness worker in New South Wales much of my adult life, and while the stories were different to those of the young people I've worked with, it was great to see something like this building compassion and understanding of the people involved.

thank you for sharing.
  • This is terrific! Really well-written - I loved the characters, and the house, and how there were always little family stories just out of reach ... and I think you do a great job of explaining how homelessness really happens. I live in the US, where we had more of a mortgage and credit crisis, but the stories are much the same.

I also have a technical question: how do you write in those delays so that the text spools out onto the screen gradually, line by line? (I'm using Twine 2 if it matters).