Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sugarcane Save Game

edited August 2014 in Workshop
I am a new twine author. By new, I mean I am about half a year into it. I have 1 game with about 60,000 words in the rubbish bin and another one at 30,000 words currently in progress.

One thing I was furious about Twine, is that I see people having pretty little save game box from the menu and I do not. I checked and I am using sugarcune. I checked the pretty save game box and they are using sugarcune. So why can't I find the function. Am I stupid or something? After 3 months of occasional searching, because I put my time into story writing, I finally notice the different between sugarcane and sugarcube, and there is no sugarcune. (j/k)

Anyway, the bookmark link of twine in the menu by default is too expert friendly. I am sure that the game players do not want to figure out why to save a game you click the bookmark link. I want something both a 6 years old and a 80 years old can understand. Not to mention I do not want Undo.

Now, sorry to say that but L is too smart to have bookmark safeguards under Undo. He needs to know that the game players / readers are dumb, stupid, lazy asses. They can figure out the back button easily, but they find using bookmark difficult. We want them to be able to save the game through a difficult mean, something not easy, take many steps, time wasting and thus stop using it unless it is a necessity. So put bookmark ahead of undo please. no joke.

For now, I have written a single, noob passage with no scripting to let the 6 years old user to save their game, using the newly implemented bookmark() with twine 1.4.2, with instruction, and I am sharing this with everyone. If you have better idea, in term of easy management and housekeeping, please share yours too. I want to save the soul of the next poor writer who want nothing but a save game mechanism.

1) Start a new passage. Give it a name "Save Game"
2) Paste the below into the content.
3) Add a link from the menu pointing to this passage.
4) Done. You have a makeshift save game function that works.

[quote]<<back>>

<u>Save Game</u>

Twine works best with Firefox. If you are using Firefox, click one of the 3 links below to save the game to your bookmark. If you need a fourth save, or more, all you have to do is to change the name of the bookmark to avoid your own confusion. If you are using Chrome, it still works fine except that the bookmark saving is a little bit clumsy given Chrome restriction to handle the bookmark. Most Twine games do not work with IE. However if you find it working on yours, please figure out the game saving and let us know.

Firefox:
[[<<print document.title>> - Save 1|window.location + bookmark()]]
Right click on one of the following links and select "Add bookmark". Give it a new name or put it in a new folder as you see fit.

[[<<print document.title>> - Save 2|window.location + bookmark()]]
Right click on one of the following links and select "Add bookmark". Give it a new name or put it in a new folder as you see fit.

[[<<print document.title>> - Save 3|window.location + bookmark()]]

Chrome:
[[<<print document.title>>|window.location.href = window.location + bookmark()]]
Click me to create a new page with the save game link, then use the star button to add the save to your bookmark. Give it a new name or put it in a new folder as you see fit. Close the new page after saving is done.

<u>Load Game</u>
Find the game from your browser bookmark and click on the bookmark. If you are moving this to another computer, please remember to put the game file in the exact same folder, or you will have to update the bookmark with the new location. Cross loading of save games from Firefox and Chrome are tested to work. IE is not supported by Twine.

<<back>>

Updated: 2014-8-11 updated save game passage after testing on Chrome and IE. It was working on Firefox from the start.