Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

html file structure questions

edited October 2014 in Help! with 1.x
Hi,
I tried to search my question but couldn't find any threads with the answer I am looking for.
I am new to this so might be missing something obvious.
When I go to edit the CCS within the Twine program some of my edits don't show up.
When I build the story and save as an html file and edit the CCS in that file, my changes do appear.
Is this just how it goes?
See image for how I think things work and a couple more questions about structure.
I have been given this task and am not a tech person. Be easy on me.
Thanks!

Link to higher quality image
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B90mBjHUk3YSVzZab01HT3g1Z28/view?usp=sharing

Comments

• Image is a tad small.
  • If I understand your question correctly, you are asking why the CSS you place within a Stylesheet passage does not appear within the <head> section of the HTML file you create with Twine.

The reason is that the java-script engine built into each of the different Story Format programmatically adds the contents of any stylesheet and script (java-script) passages it finds within the "Store Area" of the HTML file to the DOM when the file is opened.

This programmatically added CSS and java-script can be seen using the "Inspect Element" or Debugging features built into Firefox and Chrome, but does not appear when you look directly at the file's source code.
  • Attached a link to a larger version of my image in the initial message
  • First, that's not SugarCube (as asserted by your comments in the image), that's Sugarcane (as noted by the comment at the top of the file, among other things).  They look similar with default settings (sort of, kind of), but they're very different story formats.  Sugarcane is one of the bundled-in formats (a.k.a. the vanilla formats), SugarCube is not.

Second, I can't think of a reason why styles within a stylesheet tagged passage wouldn't be affecting the compiled HTML, unless there were problems with the selectors or specificity or something.  Can you post the contents of your stylesheet passage?

Beyond that, to tackle the questions within the image itself:

Q2: There's a difference between the inspection view/inspector in the developer tools of your browser and viewing the raw source (and your image was clearly taken from a raw source view).  If you inspect the compiled HTML of a story, open the &lt;head&gt; element, then the appropriate &lt;script&gt; element, you will indeed see the code the story format (though it might be abbreviated, since it's quite long).  And yes, that's what makes the Twine story run.

Q3: More or less, yes.  Think of it as Sugarcane's structural/layout CSS.

Q5: More or less, yes.  Think of it as Sugarcane's appearance/look-and-feel CSS.

Q6: WAT?

Q7: As asked before, can you post the exact contents of your stylesheet passage?