Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google Analytics and event tracking

Hi all,

I saw this post on the old Google Groups ages ago: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/tweecode/ENbun6TbfiI

Finally tried it out, sharing the link to a (soon-to-be-posted) story with a few friends. But I received no data! No events, no visits, nothing for this page. To make sure of some things (that I had uploaded the right version, that my friends weren't cleverly lying about reading through the story, etc etc) I had a friend visit the page while I chatted with her, so she could tell me exactly when she opened it, if she clicked on things. Her visit, and the events she clicked through, showed up on the real-time data! ...But nothing still shows up on the summary/regular data.

I don't know enough about GA to troubleshoot this. What. What is even happening. Should I give up on event tracking? Anyone have clever ideas?

I... I just want to obsess over how far people read and which endings are popular.

Comments

• Okay. If anyone's curious, I think I figured it out, and it was fairly simple. The instructions on the Google Group say to have your analytics code in a script passage in Twine, and then paste the snipped in passages you want to track.

Nope.

The analytics code from Google absolutely has to be dropped into the HEAD area of your HTML, and a script passage within Twine won't be recognized as analytics code. So I deleted that from the Twine and dropped the code in my built story, and all seems to be well.

I think.
  • It takes a few hours for stuff to really show up in your Analytics account. Maybe you were a victim of that delay?

I have it set up basically as that Google Groups post describes and it works fine. The analytics code that they recommend putting into a Twine passage actually writes its own code directly into the <head>, and normally you wouldn't put that into the head (Google instructs you to put it at the very bottom of your HTML).
  • I don't believe it was the delay. This had been happening for a week, and when I did the real-time test I gave it a day before posting here.

All I changed was what I described in my previous post, so... *shrug*