Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You're Killing It! - A Stand-up Comedy Experience [NSFW]

edited November 2014 in Workshop
Ever wondered what it'd be like to kill an audience with laughter? Well, wait no longer, folks! In this original story, you take on the role of a down-trodden office worker whose life seems to be going nowhere, who signs up to perform at your local comedy club's open mic night. On this adventure, you'll decide how to effectively prepare for the gig and test your jokes before finally performing it, live, in front of an audience. Attempt to fulfill your dream and be the best damned comic this side of the River Thames, as you make and break friendships, struggle in an unknown world and do the best you can as everything turns against you. You might become a household name, touring around the country, or end up as a laughing stock of your local club (and not in a good way).It' will all be up to you.

== == PLAY IT HERE == ==

So after months of work and two drafts (that still have issues, sigh) I have finally decided to release my first Twine-created game, 'You're Killing It!'. It also has the honour of being my first novel-length (40,000+ words was never the aim, btw) piece and, as such, the toughest written work I've so far written in my bloody life. I'm really proud of it for so many reasons, like the fact some people actually like it, which astounds me, whilst also teaching me a lot about my own process of writing in the toughest medium I could find. And even though I know there's so much more I can improve on, I'm so glad I'm at this point.

I began this project as a part of my summer writing in between the Second and Third Year of attending University. The inspiration came from my own experiences of doing stand-up for the first time in January 2014, as part of a module I was taking at Uni. Ever since then, experiencing the emotional roller-coaster that is the prep, the work and the stand-up itself of comedy, I've been really interested in getting across what it's like to do. I started exploring writing about comedy when doing a presentation for my Uni during the summer, talking about my last year's experience (which I won a 20 Amazon voucher for, get in there!). I've also been wanting to write for games over the years and so the two mediums kind of merged into what you see now, and here we are. I hope you enjoy and thanks for playing!

Also, thanks to my editor, Graham Robertson, and my tester, Sam Rose, who both helped point out where I was being a total idiot. If I've ignored your advice it was either because I disagreed or was too lazy to listen! But honestly, I did take it all on board and I really appreciate all the help you gave. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Comments

• I enjoyed this. It kinda made me feel like I could do standup. Perhaps more importantly, I had the feeling that if I wanted to do standup, this twine would actually give me an idea of some things I could do to prepare, some things I shouldn't do, and what I might expect.

Good job.