Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it possible to make a save file readable by future game?

Essentially, what's on the tin. :)

Semi-long form: I am planning on making a short series of interactive fiction using twine, but I want the subsequent games to draw on the events of the previous game. Is this possible? Would I have to use some form of external hook of some kind? If it is possible, can someone point me to an explanation of how to go about it?

Comments

• One solution that I've tried is to use the HTML5 localStorage.setItem("YourVarName", "YourValue") and when you want to get the value just type localStorage.getItem("YourVarName")

The only problem is that if your player clears his internet files (cookies, history...) , your saves would be lost because it's working like a cookie.

(more info here : http://www.w3schools.com/html/html5_webstorage.asp )
  • So can you set the item at the end of game 1 and retrieve it at the beginning of game 2? Or am I looking at this wrong? (I currently write an episodic thing and have been wondering about saves.) Also, could I use similar language to load a "default" save for game 2 in the event that no save for game 1 is detected?

I hope somebody sees this. Thanks!
  • andrewdwatt wrote:
    So can you set the item at the end of game 1 and retrieve it at the beginning of game 2?

That's basically it yes.

andrewdwatt wrote:
    Also, could I use similar language to load a "default" save for game 2 in the event that no save for game 1 is detected?

You can do whatever you want yes.
    At the beginning of game 2 you can check if the item is stored and if not, set it the default one.