Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sharing and playing Twine 2 games

Now I've got my links working correctly (thanks, greyelf!), and I can play the game within the Twine 2 editor ... but I can't seem to export it so that others can play it. I chose "publish to file" and it saved my game as an html file. But when I try to open that file with a browser, I get just one word: "undefined".

The Twine 1.4 guide talks about building and rebuilding the html file ... but I don't see choices like that in Twine 2. What should I do?

Comments

• The "Publish to File" option is the correct one to use.

The "undefined" message is normally related to the Harlowe  javascript engine not being able to find something. Are you able to upload a copy of your generated HTML file somewhere so I can have a look at its code?

note: As I stated before, any examples found in the Twine 1.4 guild, the Twine wiki and the Twine 1.4 related posts (the majority found on these forums) will be of little help as they are written for different story formats than Harlowe.
  • Here you go. (I'm writing a teaching tool on US pensions law, so I apologize if the content is a bit dry.) Thanks so much for your help!
  • The file you supplied is not actually a HTML file, it is a text file with the word "undefined" within it and this means that the error occurred while running the "Publish to File" option.

Can you use the "Archive" option on the main page and upload that file instead.
    warning: The archive file will contain all your Twine 2 beta projects as there is no way to archive off a single project.
  • Here's the archive. I only have one project so far.
  • I imported your archive HTML file into the Twine 2 beta using Firefox 33.1, then opened your project and tried to use the "Publish to File" option to create a HTML file. I noticed that the option opens two file save dialogs, one behind the other:

The 1st dialog is saving a file with a length of 173KB and is the HTML file containing your story/game, it seems to work correctly.
    The 2nd dialog is saving a file with a length of 9 bytes and this is the text file with the word "undefined" in it.

I would suggest saving the first file and canceling the second file.

It seems a you have found a bug in the Twine 2 beta which you should report to the creators either on the issues site or the relevant forum topic.
  • Aha! Chrome wasn't offering me two file save dialogs - it just automatically downloaded (the wrong) file.

So I tried working in Firefox instead, and now it's happy: it downloaded only the 173k file, which is playable.

It's working correctly in IE 11 too. Maybe it's just a Chrome problem? I'll describe the bug as best I can on the issues site.

Thank you!!