Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WCAG Accessibility

Hi there,

I work for a university so any online content I create must adhere to WCAG Accessibility guidelines to a AA standard. Does anyone know if content produced in Twine adheres to these standards?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• It can be, if you make it.

A Twine hypertext is javascript, html, and css. Like any document made of these components, accessibility has to be coded. Reading over the guidelines, each requirement is already met or could be added with varying degrees of difficulty.

For example, readable text and contrast between foreground and background is trivially easy to accomplish with CSS, while making the hypertext user-friendly for keyboard-only users will be more difficult.
  • This questions has been asked once before and the simple answer is no.

Twine consists of two parts:
    1. The Twine GUI, which is used to edit the passages within your story.
    2. The story format headers (Sugarcane, Johan, SugarCube, etc...) which are used by the Build system to generate the HTML file. Currently none of the different story format headers support WCAG and it would take some effort to make any of them do so.

Because the generated HTML file dynamically changes the contents of the page as the end-user interacts with the story the level of support for WAI-ARIA of the end-users reader can be an issue.
  • Thanks for your response! That's a real shame. I have very little coding knowledge but had managed to make a very simple game in twine that I won't be able to use now.

Not to worry, I will investigate other options. Thanks for your time!