Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Twine 2.0: problem with using "|" symbol (really basic question, sorry)

Hi, I'm really sorry if this has already been answered, but I just got into using Twine and I can't find any tutorials on how to use version 2.0. Only Twine 1.4 and earlier have any documentation I could find from Google searches.

All the tutorials I've found describe a process where in order to name the room something different than what you want the text to be shown to the player as, you must format your story like this: <<you enter the room|Room 1>>

This method has not worked for me at all in Twine 2.0. It only shows the code instead of making the words "you enter the room" a link to the "Room 1" page.

Is there a new method in Twine 2.0, that doesn't use the "|" symbol? Or am I just missing something else here? Thanks for helping.  :)

Comments

• There is a thread in the chit-chat section of these forums with some information about the Twine 2 beta and its new Harlowe story format. There is also some incomplete documentation about Harlowe.

The format of a Harlowe based link is as follows:

[[you enter the room->Room 1]]
    WARNING: Do not add extra space characters between the -> symbol and the passage title that follows it because it will add theses extra spaces to the start of the title of the passage created, or expect them is the passage already exists.

[[you enter the room-> Room 1]] -> links to/creates a passage titled " Room 1". (note the extra space at start of title.)
    edit: because I too forgot to conver the << & >> to [[ & ]] in my examples
  • Thank you so much greyelf! That worked.

Also, this wasn't part of my problem, but for others having the same issue who stumble upon this thread, please note that I mistakenly wrote <<  and >> instead of [[ and ]] in my post. So make sure you format things as [[you enter the room->Room 1]] instead.