Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Word magnets" mechanic/wordbank implementation-willing to pay for help!

edited November 2014 in Help! with 1.x
Deleting and remaking this topic again after some research and attempts of my own.  Hope that's not a taboo to do in the forum.

Basically main hook to the story I'm doing right now is limited communication on the part of the player.  I'm trying to make it so that the player (who is playing a ghost inhabiting a computer) can only create words from the NPC dialogue given to them through a chatroom, ie: if the NPC dialogue is "are you a ghost" then the player can echo back the word "ghost" or spell a word out from any of the letters in the message.  To implement this I really want to make it so that the player can create a wordbank that gets filled on the same passage whenever they click on a letter and prints below the NPC message.  Their answers could then be validated with some kind of "submit" button that, if valid, leads to the next passage/continues the story.

Uncannily enough it's almost exactly what this guy from forever ago: http://twinery.org/forum/index.php/topic,1402.0.html ; wanted to do

The way I've tried to parse this so far is having each separate passage from the NPC dialogue be a string.  From there I'd want to cut the strings into separate words, and those words into separate letters that can be put in an array that the player can claim characters from by clicking on them.  Unfortunately I have no programming experience and this is a pretty difficult problem to tackle, but I need to get the mechanic working if I want to write the story this way (it's for a class project) so I don't have a long time to experiment myself.  If anyone could write me some example code for just one passage that I can apply to the rest of the conversation I'd so appreciate it.  I'm just trying to get this one mechanic working but I haven't made much headway and it's pretty frustrating.