Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VN Style Twine Game

edited December 2014 in Workshop
I am back from the dead with some new stuff to show. Sorry, Sharpe. PM me so we can talk again will you?

Some people might remember the tons of work I did way back when on an engine within an engine (a TON of macros in Twine to do some really neat stuff). I did a working combat, inventory, paperdoll, and messagebox system. See that stuff here: http://twinery.org/forum/index.php/topic,751.msg1191.html#msg1191

Right now I'm working on a few tweaks so my engine can handle Visual Novel style games as well. After a single day of coding, this is a mockup of an intro I did:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_HXDmwdIpg

Truthfully, a lot of it was making that pretty title background with the spinning planets and stuff, but the end result is something anybody would call a full fledged VN engine. If there is interest I can answer some questions. I might be able to upload some scripts but it would take some time to get them all together and I couldn't really offer any OFFICIAL support.

Excited to be working on Twine again though! Here are some screens from the video. And Merry Christmas / Happy New Year!

undefined

undefined

undefined

Comments

• Wow, this looks incredible! Kudos for all the effort you've put in!
  • Just wanted to say that this is absolutely spell-binding!
    I'm a graphic artist too, and am doing something different but similar.
    It's nice to see other people expanding the graphical aspects of Twine... I really want to see how this continues.
  • This looks really neat. Most people would be surprised that this is Twine. If you ever get around to publishing scripts, I'm particularly interested in your messageboxes and cursers.
  • This looks great, CoraBlue! Seconding guy231: I definitely wouldn't have guessed this was Twine.

Personally, I'm doing something similar, though I don't know how much my "jQuery all the things!" front-end developer approach to this is really sustainable, haha. I'd love to take a look at your engine when and if you're ever ready to release it. (And I definitely want to hear more about that setting when your game's done too!)
  • Whoa! That's beautiful, Cora! Really nice work, I'm an instant fan of yours!  :-)
    Do you have a website or Twitter or something? (Apparently you 'died', hope you come back to life some time!)

I was hoping to make my own game a little more graphical, not a full fledged VN in style, but it's really promising that you can take it to that point. I'll definitely tinker around with the layout once I have all the bits and pieces together.

@LeonDaydreamer Back To Reality
  • Nice work! I've been giving the VN idea a bit of thought lately as well. Ren' Py is a nice VN engine, but I couldn't see much in it that couldn't be integrated into Twine 2 with some additional javascript libraries and some glue code or macros.  Wonderful to see what's you've accomplished so far. :)