Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help with Menus and "Back" button

Using the StoryMenu passage, I want to make the player's inventory be accessible to view at any time during the story without having to display it in every passage or making a link to it in every passage. I also wanted to ask if there's a way to make a "back" button in that inventory, so that they are instantly returned to the most recent passage they were in no matter where they are in the story. I download the most recent version of Twine if that helps.

I'm sorry if there might be a topic like this before, and if there is, I'd appreciate to be linked there. Thanks to anyone who can answer my question.

Comments

• (Always state the story format you're using, because they do differ in capabilities and features.)

There are several ways in which you could make a link that would return you to the last non-menu passage, however, doing it automatically via tags is probably easiest.
  • TheMadExile wrote:

(Always state the story format you're using, because they do differ in capabilities and features.)

There are several ways in which you could make a link that would return you to the last non-menu passage, however, doing it automatically via tags is probably easiest.

Thank you very much for the help! Sorry if my reply is a little late. May I also ask another question? When describing a room, is it possible to have a varying descriptions chosen at random? Let's say the room has blue wallpaper, but when a player enters, the description changes at random every time the player re-enters like; "The wallpaper around this room is [blue, red, or yellow]"

Thanks again for all the help :D
  • (ALWAYS STATE WHICH STORY FORMAT YOU ARE USING, BECAUSE THEY DO DIFFER IN CAPABILITIES AND FEATURES.)

This will select a random color for the wallpaper every time:

The wallpaper around this room is <<print either("blue", "red", "yellow")>>
    If you really need it to always be blue the first time, then change randomly afterwards, try this instead:

The wallpaper around this room is <<if visited() is 0>>blue<<else>><<print either("blue", "red", "yellow")>><<endif>>
    Docs: