Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sugarcane using Harlowe syntax?

I've always liked look of the Sugarcane. Could someone port it to Twine2, but using Harlowe's parser? I mainly care for look and feel and harlowe gives some really boring look while Sugarcane, even without changes to the CSS looks great.

Comments

• I'd like this as well. I'm sure that many people like the transitions and look of the old default Twine 1.4. But the syntax in Harlowe seems less messy and nicer to use.

Comments from a coder/someone in the know?
  • It all depends on exactly what you are asking for:

1. Existing Sugarcane looks / macros / functions / features but with the macro syntax changed from <<macroname>> to (macroname:)

2. Existing Harlowe macros / macro syntax / functions / features but changed to look like Sugarcane.
    eg. side-bar and CSS transitions, etc.

Note: I don't believe that Harlowe has a built-in restart or bookmark feature.

3. Existing Harlowe macros / macro syntax / functions / features combined with the looks / missing macros / missing functions / missing features of Sugarcane.
  • Thanks for the reply!

For me, it would be (2). I'd like to use the new syntax of Harlowe because it looks cleaner and more logical than the old '<<>>' syntax, but I like how my stories in Twine 1.4 looked.

I tried looking for a CSS template to make Harlowe look like Sugarcane, but couldn't find one. That would be perfect.
  • tommakesgames wrote:

For me, it would be (2). I'd like to use the new syntax of Harlowe because it looks cleaner and more logical than the old '<<>>' syntax, but I like how my stories in Twine 1.4 looked.

My previous post may not of been clear enough, macro syntax and the list of available macros are two different things.

Choosing Option 2 would mean that there would be no Sugarcane action / choice / textinput / radio / checkbox / button macros, no restart / bookmark options, no passage tag based CSS, no special passages like StoryInit / StoryAuthor, etc... because none of these things are currently included in the Harlowe story format.
  • What do you mean by passage based CSS?

I don't ever remember there being a choice/action macro. What did they do?

The more I think about it, the more it seems like Twine 1.4 still wins over in functionality and looks. It's just that its code is a little messier.
  • tommakesgames wrote:

What do you mean by passage based CSS?

In Twine 1 you can assign a passage tag to one or more of your passages and then use CSS based on that passage tag to alter the look of only those passages.
    In Twine 2 only the SugarCube story format currently supports this feature.

[quote author=tommakesgames]
    I don't ever remember there being a choice/action macro. What did they do?

The Twine 1 documentation for the built-in story formats available macros is here.