Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Change to handling of datamaps in Harlowe?

The following code:
(set: $char to (datamap: "Cute", 4, "Wit", 7))
(print: $char's Wit)
$char's Wit
used to print:
[quote]7

Now it prints:

[quote]7
's Wit

Is this intentional?

Comments

• I would assume so. The reason is that when you don't use print, it tries to print just $char and not the whole expression. However, $char isn't exactly something that can be printed in the first place, so you end up with an empty space instead.
  • What's odd is that it did handle "'s" outside print statements in an earlier build, allowing for odd statements like
    $character's name's brother's name is $character's brother's name
    which was either terrifying or awesome or both. Just wondering whether this is a deliberate move towards enforcing more readable syntax or accidental.

I suppose the print-required syntax for the above would be
    (print: $character's name)'s brother's name is (print: $character's brother's name)
    which does seem more readable to me.
  • It was previously deliberate, but I made that decision during development when it still used the JS dot-property notation. After release I decided that since it was unpleasantly unexpected to have, say, "$variable's on the run" in passage prose be treated as a property access, it shouldn't be usable in that context.

(Having $variable be treated specially in passage prose is kind of a dice-game with legibility in itself, based entirely on the understanding that the $ sigil opens a variable name and a non-letter-non-numeric character terminates it.)
  • Right yes. It makes sense to me. I feel like (while it is somewhat of a dice-game) people are reasonably used to mentioning $variables in text. I agree that $variable's a bit tricky.

It would possibly be nice to have a shorter, documented* equivalent of (print:) so that, as in Twine 1, one could mention <<$variable>>s in words quickly, and (print:$variable's property) without being so verbose ( and imperative ;) ) ... that's not high priority though. Mostly I just wanted to know how I should be planning to write things from now on.

(* I say 'documented' because at one point, [single brackets] without a <hook tag| seemed to force evaluation, but it wasn't entirely reliable and I'm pretty sure I was a terrible person for trying to take advantage of it)
  • oakandsage wrote:

as in Twine 1, one could mention <<$variable>>s in words quickly

Technically <<$variable>> was/is the short form of the <<display "passage_name">> macro and not the <<print>> macro, it just happened that if <<$variable>> failed to find the passage it was asked to display then it evaluated/printed out the value of whatever was passed to the macro.

It has been pointed out that I was incorrect.
  • Ermmm. Yes, thanks.
    (I actually didn't know that. I thought I had to type out 'display' in twine1. *facepalm*)
  • greyelf wrote:

Technically <<$variable>> was/is the short form of the <<display "passage_name">> macro and not the <<print>> macro, it just happened that if <<$variable>> failed to find the passage it was asked to display then it evaluated/printed out the value of whatever was passed to the macro.

That has never been true (even from the first commit).  The &lt;&lt;$variable&gt;&gt; shorthand form never checks the $variable's value against passage names (the macro processor never looks up the value, period).  The order of operations is:
    [list type=decimal]
    If the first word of the macro invocation is a valid macro name, then the macro is invoked.
    Else if the first character is a dollar sign '$', then it's assumed you're trying to print a $variable and <<print>> is invoked.
    Else if the first word is a valid passage name, then it's assumed you're trying to display a passage and <<display>> is invoked.
    Else, then an error is rendered for the user.